2 ideas (I think easy to implement)

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
visentin

2 ideas (I think easy to implement)

by visentin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:34 pm

- A "comments view" for albums (and other objects with pictures attached), a bit like in Facebook. Not that I want SP to be a facebook, but would be good to see other's comments and that would generate more correspondence between members.
- After reading the thread "top contributors" I thought why not allowing to display members ordered by the most points earned in defined period of time (or counting points degressively as they are far in time) in order to display a sort of "contributor of the month" ranking (or year, or week, whatever)

Luc

Re: 2 ideas (I think easy to implement)

by Luc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:00 pm

visentin wrote:- After reading the thread "top contributors" I thought why not allowing to display members ordered by the most points earned in defined period of time (or counting points degressively as they are far in time) in order to display a sort of "contributor of the month" ranking (or year, or week, whatever)

Yay, more status hunting and point stuffing!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:49 pm

Before working on the above items please work on site performance/speed.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
anita, Arthur Digbee, Luc, norco17

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 pm

I can't even fathom what tidal wave of crap would sweep over SP when we implement a "contributor of the month" feature

The following user would like to thank SoCalHiker for this post
anita, Bob Sihler, Luc, norco17

visentin

by visentin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Before working on the above items please work on site performance/speed.

You sound like my wife ! :D

visentin

by visentin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 am

heard of the bulk uploader ?

visentin

by visentin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:30 am

anita wrote:they must have infinite patience and hours to kill.

heard of the bulk uploader ? ;)

As for the top contributors issue, I'm not as negative as all of you. May I remind there is a wide tab on the front page dedicated to "Best New Stuff" with links to the best albums, best peaks, best areas during the last 1,3 7 days and whatever. Who the hell is regularly checking that ? Most people just go in What's new.
I'd rather see more space for featured mountains, route and peaks. Or perhaps featured albums ? :)
Back to best contributors, I don't see any problem adding a line (not a photo) about them, for the week, month, and perhaps year. This would bring attention to the work of those who are actively creating quality contributions. Except for few SP addicts, I don't think this would go as insane as you describe.
And this would perhaps move a part of the attention to the "race" of the total points - for sure insane - to something more flexible, modulable, and permanently changing, then something people would focus on less...

Luc

by Luc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 pm

visentin wrote:heard of the bulk uploader ? ;)

This would bring attention to the work of those who are actively creating quality contributions.

those two lines are in contradiction, if the top contributors are calculated on recent submissions, the bulk uploaders would win...

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:14 pm

Please implement flashing text. It would make arguments much more compelling, more so than gold stars next to names.

visentin

by visentin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 pm

Luc's aversion for pictures of non-sharp mountains is known since my Ruegen nature pictures, I'm not willing to get back into that...
In any case I'm not trying to insinuate I would be amongst those best contributors, far from that. Despite I use the bulk-uploader, I'm hiking hills that only retired people would find convenient. Very little people watch what I post, but it cheers me up when Henryk is correcting my flowers names, when folks from the region of Europe tell me it reminded hikes of their childhood, or when Borut puts some joke of his own while recognizing in the background some rock he climbed in the 70s. Thanks God that's enough for me to enjoy SP. The best contributor was just an idea.. Anyone finding it good ? (I start to doubt...)
Having said that, good night !

Return to Site Feedback