Fave Tahoe 3-day backpacks?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Princess Buttercup

Fave Tahoe 3-day backpacks?

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:55 am

Headed to Carson City on 2 September to get the knee checked out and realized that it was Labor Day weekend already! I've never explored the Tahoe area before and thought I might take the long weekend as a chance to stroll around in areas with trees instead of "just" rock. :)

Anyone have some suggestions on some nice loops up that-a-way? I'm pretty much up for anything, but some long walks to nice lakes, maybe a peak scramble or four, fishing, preferably away from the bulk of the crowds I'm sure will descend (ascend?) for the weekend.

Also, thinking about water: I never bother w/ filtration here, but any thoughts on the slightly lower elevation areas around Tahoe?

Thanks in advance,
L 8)

ozarkmac

Re: Fave Tahoe 3-day backpacks?

by ozarkmac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:45 pm

The Granite Chief - Whiskey Creek area is beautiful and can be looped, done point to point (Alpine to Squaw) or just as a great in-and-out backpack. It connects with the PCT.

http://sierrawild.gov/wilderness/granite-chief

Vertigo soul

by Vertigo soul » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:46 pm

I think most people would tell you to head for Desolation Wilderness...as its obviously the most popular and scenic area around Tahoe (unfortunately crowds come with it!). Many lakes and peak bagging throughout. Personally - I like to pack into Sylvia Lake on the far SW corner of the wilderness zone, and then the traverse of Pyramid, Price and Agassiz is fun with great views! Lake Aloha and its surrounding lakes are also just as awesome, with many other peaks nearby to scramble up (Dicks-Jacks traverse is fun). It will definitely be busy over Labor Day though, and there is a quotas to deal with.

Another enjoyable trip is to Star Lake, just below Jobs Sister in the SE corner of Tahoe. Scenic approach using Rim Trail from either Luther Pass or from Ponderosa Lodge on NV-side of Heavenly Resort. Can hike up to the Sister and try and nab the 3 summits w/Jobs & Freel Peaks.

btw - I'd be safe and filter water, but thats just me

Good luck and enjoy!

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks, guys! Follow-up question: any recommendations on good shops in Tahoe for maps? I was going to check Wilson's down here, but I think they pretty much only stock Bridgeport to Isabella stuff...

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:34 am

Wrights lake TH over Clyde lake. Also nice scramble from Clydes up Mosquito pass to Pyramid peak then x-country back to twin lakes and the car

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:08 am

MooseTracks wrote:Thanks, guys! Follow-up question: any recommendations on good shops in Tahoe for maps? I was going to check Wilson's down here, but I think they pretty much only stock Bridgeport to Isabella stuff...

IIRC Alpenglow in N. Lake Tahoe has a decent selection. They're a nice local shop with a reasonable selection of gear and staff who actually seem to get outdoors, so I like to patronize them.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:33 am

Vertigo soul wrote:I think most people would tell you to head for Desolation Wilderness...as its obviously the most popular and scenic area around Tahoe (unfortunately crowds come with it!). Many lakes and peak bagging throughout. Personally - I like to pack into Sylvia Lake on the far SW corner of the wilderness zone, and then the traverse of Pyramid, Price and Agassiz is fun with great views! Lake Aloha and its surrounding lakes are also just as awesome, with many other peaks nearby to scramble up (Dicks-Jacks traverse is fun). It will definitely be busy over Labor Day though, and there is a quotas to deal with.

Another enjoyable trip is to Star Lake, just below Jobs Sister in the SE corner of Tahoe. Scenic approach using Rim Trail from either Luther Pass or from Ponderosa Lodge on NV-side of Heavenly Resort. Can hike up to the Sister and try and nab the 3 summits w/Jobs & Freel Peaks.

btw - I'd be safe and filter water, but thats just me

Good luck and enjoy!

I agree with Vertigo, but I'd leave out Pyramid. If you take the Lyons Lake TH and go to Agassiz, that route is much more beautiful than to Lake Sylvia and Pyramid. And then access from Agassiz and Price to Dicks and Jacks is right there. Also Little Pyramid is an option to the north of Price. Agassiz is a must!

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Again, many thanks to all. Turns out Wilson's does indeed have maps, and I should probably suck it up and finally get TOPO! as well. Keep the suggestions coming: I could climb peaks, or just put on miles, and I definitely will be packing my fishing gear.

And thanks also to Anita (madeintahoe) for her suggestions!!

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:37 am

If u want 2 see Big Blue from Desolation u will need 2 stay on da Eastside. View from top of Tallac is nice, as is the Dicks-Jacks linkup. And if u haven't been to Deso before Aloha Lake is nice.

On a side note, I feel the best views of the lake are from the NV side in the area of Mt Rose Wilderness n Rose-Church-Houghton-Relay peaks. So more options 2 consider.

Hope u have a great trip!

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:03 am

Once again, thanks, everyone! I think I've got a fun idea in my head, now to go out and see what I can pull off... I'll post a few pics when I get home!

-L 8)

Return to California