bickering over climbing ratings are not enough?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
gremlin

bickering over climbing ratings are not enough?

by gremlin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm on this site from time to time, occasionally looking for beta, and find it hilarious that basically everything anyone posts can be rated by everyone else. Have climbers gotten bored over bickering over climbing ratings, so they have to go on here and downrate anything they don't like to make their daily quotas of being a bunch of grumpy wankers? I think I've even had a rock/route removed, since, keeping with the spirit of it being a highly adventurous climb, didn't post fricking move for move beta, only added what the guidebook didn't have that would have made the drive/approach/general route finding easier for us to figure out when we did it. And I don't think the page was even replaced- so people on this site would rather have no info at all, over what they vote is not up to their personal specs, even if it's plenty of info for anyone who has any business being on the climb? What a bunch of chossers. Makes me kind of want to post a bunch of obscure stuff, with only the necessary bare bones descriptions someone who would actually go out and climb it would need, just to see how many votes of 1 out of 10 I get from people who don't like that a detailed map, step by step approach instructions, and move for move beta with GPS coords the whole way are not included.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:55 pm

Yes, maybe.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:11 pm

What's yur point?

The three route pages that you have posted are slim to pickens to say the least. Two of em appear to have come right out of some guide book page.

redcell6613

sheep

by redcell6613 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Just post something titled something like 5.19Z and that should be enough to distract them for a while.....

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:01 pm

"Bickering over ratings *is* not enough"

I prefer to bicker over grammar.

What the hell is a chosser?

Sent

Re: bickering over climbing ratings are not enough?

by Sent » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:31 am

I would say if you are going to bother post here, at least post a primary image and learn how to get rid of the "add external links here" wording. People on SP expect a certain degree of professionalism your posts lack. You dont need to over-detail, just make it look good. If it's such a problem, hey posts like that are perfectly accepted on mountainproject

no avatar
guhj

by guhj » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:19 pm

I think this may stem from the lack of Wiki-style editing. Instead of keeping (and improving) a bad page, most people would rather get rid of it, so that it's obvious to everyone that there's a gap to fill.

If people could help improve the page, instead of just giving a low rating, things would clear up fast.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:38 pm

and the route rating stars on route pages of 1-5 is the same you find in almost any guide book (might be an asterix, three stars, etc, same principle), the improvement via SP is that it is a consensus rating of how one enjoyed the route for what it was, rock, ice, whatever, instead of just one guide book author's opinion....not how hard they think it is nor how good the page was written...many are confused about that particular element of route pages I will concur..but it is a great tool used by visitors to a climbing destination if used correctly....to prioritize routes they want to get out on...

trust me, we have plenty of issues at SP, flagrant nepotism, server speed, lack of innovation, the drain of users (visitors, not members) due to the before mentioned, thus google rankings....your issue seems so trivial in comparison.

Return to Site Feedback