Neo Air sleeping pad?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Dane1

Re: Neo Air sleeping pad?

by Dane1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:25 am

The newest version is smaller and warmer than the comparitive Prolite. I'm impressed so far.

The following user would like to thank Dane1 for this post
TimB

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:44 am

I picked one up with points I had accumulated at a retailer when they first came out, and I've never suffered a puncture. I've spent about 40-50 nights on the first one, with zero punctures. I got a second one for when I bring people along, and have also suffered zero punctures, though I always have a patch kit with me.
If you're a side sleeper, it is SO much more comfortable.
I don't remember how cold they suggested you could use it down to offhand, but I've used mine down to 10F and been happy enough.
I don't know if there was a bad batch that everybody had or what, because though it's thin, it's relatively durable feeling.
Also, the rubber coating on the top is wonderful- keeps the pad from shooting out from under you off your slippery sleeping bag.

The following user would like to thank spiritualspatula for this post
TimB

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:32 pm

I've been using mine for two years, with no issues at all. The packability and light weight are unbeatable, and I have no regrets.

When it's really cold (sleeping on snow), I add a foam pad as well. This combo seems as warm as anything.

The following user would like to thank Autoxfil for this post
TimB

TimB

by TimB » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:06 pm

spiritualspatula wrote:I picked one up with points I had accumulated at a retailer when they first came out, and I've never suffered a puncture. I've spent about 40-50 nights on the first one, with zero punctures. I got a second one for when I bring people along, and have also suffered zero punctures, though I always have a patch kit with me.
If you're a side sleeper, it is SO much more comfortable.
I don't remember how cold they suggested you could use it down to offhand, but I've used mine down to 10F and been happy enough.
I don't know if there was a bad batch that everybody had or what, because though it's thin, it's relatively durable feeling.
Also, the rubber coating on the top is wonderful- keeps the pad from shooting out from under you off your slippery sleeping bag.

Very helpful post.
I am also a side sleeper-I am going to buy one of these, methinks.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:21 pm

spiritualspatula wrote:If you're a side sleeper, it is SO much more comfortable.

That's the big deal for me. I can't sleep flat on my back, so the extra height over a pro-lite is huge for me.

Luc

by Luc » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Interesting, maybe I should retire my 3/4 length Standard and 3/4 length Ultra-light pads.

I'm keeping my ridgerest for cold/winter though, it's actually the same weight as a 72" Neo Air.

benwood

by benwood » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:18 pm

i don't own a neoair, but i have used one twice. I generally use a 3/4 z-lite. I am a side sleeper and have found the z-lite good enough and bulletproof. I've had mine for years and use it for a pad or mat for just about everything i do outside.

as far as the neoair. WOW. big comfort improvement. i slept on the snow with my z-lite under one of the nights and the other directly on the ground of dirt and leaves. no holes either time. As any side sleeper knows, the hip and shoulder tend to get sore and thus the tossing and turning. with the neoair it really is better.

All that said, i'll most likely never trade-in my ccf pad totally. I would definately bring the z-lite in winter no matter the weight.
"Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work" - Peter Gibbons

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:58 am

I have had this mattress for 2 yrs and here's the review I posted after getting it: http://www.spgear.org/gear/6517/therm-a ... eoair.html
I recently sent it off for repair because I also felt like it was leaking every night. I'd fill it tight every night before turning in, lay on it and let out some air to make it more comfortable and find myself sleeping on the ground come morning. Love it, but am hoping it'll be better when I get it back.

chickenthief

by chickenthief » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Ive used the original neoair for 2 years and have now changed to the klymit inertia x frame for summer camping, but thiking of the new neoair allseasons for snow camping.

Has anyone had experience with sleeping with the allseasons on snow?

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Borrowed a neoair for a few nights recently. Fantastically light and compact, stayed inside my pack which made it very convenient for air travel. More comfortable than my older Thermarest - and I have the extra-thick "luxury" model thermarest. I'm a side sleeper so thickness is key.

Not sure what size I had, perhaps the "regular", but I found it very long (though a bit narrow); it barely fit inside a four-man tent. The "regular" is a full six feet tall, the "large" is 6' 6"; I'm planning to get a shorter one ("medium" 5'6" or "small" just under 4 feet).

johngenx

by johngenx » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:04 am

I have a NeoAir with two hard summers on it, including being abused by my 12yr old daughter on a couple climbing/kayaking trips. The caveat is that this pad is meant to be used inside a tent, as the fabric is not as robust as some other pads.

For winter camping, I use my Exped SynMat. I need the R5 warmth under me. However, based on my positive experience with the NeoAir, I plan on buying a NeoAir Allseason, which matches the R-value of the Exped but weighs ~300g less and should be much more compact.

Previous

Return to Gear