My first parka!

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
theriel

My first parka!

by theriel » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:13 am

Hello all,
The time has come to invest in my first, proper parka/belay jacket! The usage (short-term): Kilimanjaro, Alps in the summer. Long-term (read: 1-2 year time): hopefully Alps in winter and some other more interesting places (generally <7k meters, maybe inc. Aconcagua?).

Having done my homework, it seems like Patagonia DAS Parka is widely recommended.

Thus, a quick question - would it be appropriate for the various places I am planning to visit it in the coming future? Are there any other, overall better parkas, or is Patagonia DAS still *the* parka to have? I was thinking about buying something lighter but ultimately I think it will be better to have some reserve than cry the night before reaching the summit...

Thank you for help!

Best regards,
Theriel

johngenx

Re: My first parka!

by johngenx » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:56 am

I spend my time in the Canadian Rockies, so not very high, but in the winter, it gets damned cold. I'm 6' and 155lbs, and I'm constantly cold. I am a huge fan of down insulation save for one piece I own, and that is my DAS Parka. A caveat on my comments is that I have the previous generation which I understand has more insulation, so I can't speak to the warmth of the latest model.

It's been my go-to parka for some years now, and it's put up with lots of abuse. For insane temperatures, I slide a Down Sweater under it, and I'm good to go standing around at -40C.

ExcitableBoy

Re: My first parka!

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:36 pm

I have a Wild Things Belay Jacket - similar in warmth to the DAS. It is too warm for summer climbing outside of Alaska for me, but would be the bomb diggity in the winter in the Alps.

Return to Gear