Unreliable info from rangers

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Vitaliy M.

Re: Unreliable info from rangers

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:16 pm

MooseTracks wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote: Since you know that all these tourons are too weak for Little Lakes trail, why not just tell them 'Sierra is closed to all visitors, it is too dangerous at the moment?' They are to weak to be here! Who cares! The roads are closed, the rivers are too high! GTFO tourons!

Jeebus, V, how did the Chief hack into your account? :lol: :roll: :lol:

Actually, guys, I'm in complete agreement with you that accurate information, or the latest information with the caveat that it is indeed ONLY the latest information, should be given out. With all the of the specializations/routes that exist, is it realistic to expect anyone to know all of that information? (And I know it's been addressed that it isn't feasible). I would indeed also expect the beta-giver to be up front and honest about that sort of information. I mean, we do that HERE, all the time. Someone posts asking about conditions; someone answers, usually with a link to photos. The information is integrated, people verbalize thanks, and we move on. There are even times when the parks/forest organizations check sites like these to gain their beta.

As a rule, I don't really check with the ranger stations around here for conditions reports. Instead, I go prepared and change my itinerary as needed. As someone above mentioned, its about taking personal responsibility.

Exactly. If asked for beta I would simply state how it was, and than add when it was like that. Or would say "my friend was there two weeks ago and said that the axe is required (which is HIS judgment. When previously I asked on SP if ice axe and crampons are required to get down from Bear Creek Spire after climbing North Arete some people said that there are was around it, and some said bring them anyway just in case. On that climb I took a 5.10 variation which was my first 5.10 on lead. I think if I had to carry extra weight of crampons and axe I MIGHT have taken a fall. So in this case I was happy to get the correct info from some people)." All of us deserve honesty, no matter young, old, new, or pro.

This thread was not supposed to turn into Middle Palisade thread. There should be no arguments. In the end it is our responsibility, and our own judgment call.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:22 pm

The ranger stations in Washington usually have log book which returning BC visitors can record their impressions of the current conditions. More eyes on the ground, so to speak.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 pm

A ranger in Lone Pine told me to buy GM stock in 2007. Boy was that a mistake.

desertdesigns

by desertdesigns » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:21 am

I hitchhiked out of the Bishop pass TH down to the the 395 once, and the dude's brakes were pretty close to giving out....

sorry, OT but I was laughing at moapaPk's post and lost control.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:24 am

A Ranger in Sedona, Arizona, told me Pluto was not a planet anymore.

I gave the Ranger a fist pump and said, "I can really dig that, because I think you're absolutely CORRECT."

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

colinr

by colinr » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:28 am

lcarreau wrote:A Ranger in Sedona, Arizona, told me Pluto was not a planet anymore.
I gave the Ranger a fist pump and said, "I can really dig that, because I think you're absolutely CORRECT."

That must have been the ranger that this lady used her "phone a friend" to call:

When I visit Mt. Shasta later this month, I'll have to remember to ask the employees there what they think about this:

But, I'll have to be careful which friends I bring along, because I want no part in what might happen if the discussion turns to lemurians.

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
lcarreau

sealevelmick

by sealevelmick » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:06 pm

@moapa
" she gave him the information he requested. It was up to him to plan for several standard deviations, no matter what the value of the average."

# wheres stephen jay gould when you need him

Previous

Return to California