Just Finished Seven Summits And Selling New and Used Gear

A forum for members looking to buy and sell gear from and to each other.
CSUMarmot

Re: Just Finished Seven Summits And Selling New and Used Gea

by CSUMarmot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:51 am

So what have we learned?

1. Never under any circumstances mention your willingness to spend money and travel the world to climb mountains (especially if some people are jealous of the opportunity)
2. Never try to sell the crap you acquired on these adventures after saying what it was used for (Some people like the allure of uncertainty!)
3. Always insinuate and extrapolate based on your expansive knowledge of the OP's intentions for his life. (Dont forget to decry his intentions, thats the fun part!)
4. Always make pointless forays into other peoples lives (Vitaliy)
5. Always be a douche (thecroce)

Is completing the 7S a big accomplishment? Sure, in most circles it is. Lots of smaller things are big accomplishments too, even though they might not get the same recognition. Thats not the point. Where did the OP post this?

Greetings lowly trail hikers and egotistic sport climbers,
I have several pieces of equipment I'd like to unload after conquering the holy grail of mountaineering accomplishments, the feared Seven Summits! Instead of burning this gear like I should since my pockets are already plated with gold, I thought I'd take pity on you poor peasants and offer some of this high tech equipment to you for a kings ransom. You see, my physically challenged friends, I'm no longer in need of this equipment as I'd like to distance myself as far from you losers as possible. After this, I'll be making just one more ascent; Mount Olympus so I can reside with the Gods.
Your accomplishments are to small to ever be remembered, so give up now.
Your superior, Jesus Christ himself.

He never posted this. Yet you acted like he did, then jumped on him as if he wanted to piss on your dreams. HE NEVER PICKED A FIGHT.

If you really care this much about what mountains people strive to climb or what dumb list to check, get the fuck over yourself. Stop embarrassing the climbing community with your aimless bitching.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

The following user would like to thank CSUMarmot for this post
aedwards, attimount, Baarb, chapter11, Deb, jackstraw0083, JB99, lcarreau, MarkDidier, Marmaduke, Norris, radson, Sarah Simon, TimB

no avatar
chapter11

by chapter11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:11 am

CSUMarmot wrote:So what have we learned?

1. Never under any circumstances mention your willingness to spend money and travel the world to climb mountains (especially if some people are jealous of the opportunity)
2. Never try to sell the crap you acquired on these adventures after saying what it was used for (Some people like the allure of uncertainty!)
3. Always insinuate and extrapolate based on your expansive knowledge of the OP's intentions for his life. (Dont forget to decry his intentions, thats the fun part!)

Is completing the 7S a big accomplishment? Sure, in most circles it is. Lots of smaller things are big accomplishments too, even though they might not get the same recognition. Thats not the point. Where did the OP post this?

I have several pieces of equipment I'd like to unload after conquering the holy grail of mountaineering accomplishments, the feared Seven Summits! Instead of burning this gear like I should since my pockets are already plated with gold, I thought I'd take pity on you poor peasants and offer some of this high tech equipment to you for a kings ransom. You see, my physically challenged friends, I'm no longer in need of this equipment as I'd like to distance myself as far from you losers as possible. After this, I'll be making just one more ascent; Mount Olympus so I can reside with the Gods.

He never posted this. Yet you acted like he did, then jumped on him as if he wanted to piss on your dreams. HE NEVER PICKED A FIGHT.

If you really care this much about what mountains people strive to climb or what dumb list to check, get the fuck over yourself. Stop embarrassing the climbing community with your aimless bitching.

Classic!

I know we are only 4 days into the year but this has to be a "thread of the year" nomination

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:21 am

chapter11 wrote:

Classic!

I know we are only 4 days into the year but this has to be a "thread of the year" nomination

Now you've done it 11, you started this thread with your self absorbed notation that you completed the 7 and now you nominate yourself for starting the "thread of the year". Boy, here comes the haters, bitchers, winers with.......... more of the same. :wink: :wink:

Nicely said CSU!

no avatar
chapter11

by chapter11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
chapter11 wrote:

Classic!

Now you've done it 11, you started this thread with your self absorbed notation that you completed the 7 and now you nominate yourself for starting the "thread of the year". Boy, here comes the haters, bitchers, winers with.......... more of the same. :wink: :wink:

Nicely said CSU!

That was said with complete sarcasm!

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:56 pm

You forgot to mention #6. Marmaduke climbed only 1 13er (cl 1 walk Mt. Dana) 0 14ers, and 0 12ers. Yet he is the almighty god of online climbing talk.

If OP simply posted a normal FS add no one would give him crap. Thread name, and content is asking for it...
Mattyj said it the best. There are those who do not go to the mountains for Disneyland thrills and conquest of the highest.

The following user would like to thank Vitaliy M. for this post
Dow Williams, fatdad

Deb

by Deb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:56 pm

wow
I really thought this thread was going to be from Jordan Romero. :/

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Deb wrote:wow

Sry Deb, I believe it is more like our buddy Mel.

DK

by DK » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Heyy congrats on completing the 7 Summits!
Hope you will post a write up on SP :)

surgent

by surgent » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Deb wrote:wow

Now there's a real hero.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:52 pm

no offense people, but climbers are not really heros...nor do the real ones want to be...it is a selfish endeavor

The following user would like to thank Dow Williams for this post
mrchad9, Vitaliy M.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Climbing the 7 summits is OK, but you have to save at least one kitten to get my attention.

IvanBraunDK

by IvanBraunDK » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Coffeetable-climbing and mountaineering is a global thing

First of all, grants to Chapter11 in completing the 7 summits, and a even bigger one for your dad to do it. I'm not in the market for you stuff, best of luck in selling it.

Then, I am laughing so loud that I woke up the dog, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL - grown ups flaming like this, its Hilarious. Best part is all these opinions from people that haven't been closer to the seven summits than the coffee table books they bought.

My advise is Just do it, or do a few, and then AFTER, come back and tell us your opinions.

This post of definitely a top candidate for the one of the best posts of the year - absolutely :).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Many negative comments about the 7 summits distill down to this logic:

"The seven summits climbs really just require money! If had the money to throw around, I bet I could do it, too!"

For those who feel this way: welcome to life. Kudos to those who can work hard for so long, that they CAN take the time and spend the money to do this venture. Kudos to those who can convince other people to fund them. Kudos to those who can keep their eyes on the prize, without short-changing family and friends, and take the everyday risks that get them within grasp of their dreams.

Believe it or not, most people don't inherit the money to do big climbs, or fall into such funds by exploiting poor dirt-baggers. Many of these folks got to the goal by working hard in demanding jobs, putting the money away over the years; while still finding time, after long work weeks, to get exercise and experience.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
lefty, MarkDidier, surgent

Denjem

by Denjem » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 pm

MoapaPk, you said so yourself. Who cares, unless he saved a kitten. 11 answer the question!

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:09 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Many of these folks got to the goal by working hard in demanding jobs, putting the money away over the years; while still finding time, after long work weeks, to get exercise and experience.

I can relate to this, but my choices led me to having long vacations by current American standards, followed by enough time and money to currently travel around California frequently with my wife and kids. The easiest way to afford more than that would be to go back to working my butt off again, but I'm satisfied for now. As far as the 7 summits and riskier endeavors, I suspect I will always opt for less expensive trips that don't keep me away from family, nor come with above average risk of not making it back alive. I'm glad I live somewhere that helps my choices work out well for me. Chapter 11 got to see many places I would enjoy seeing and got to share it with his dad. Cool!

What about saving bunnies? I suspect my kitty would have eaten it:

Boys arrested for rescuing bunnies, Feb. 26: After rescuing a marooned rodent from Uvas Creek on a stormy afternoon, two wetsuit-clad Gilroyans were heroes in the eyes of a shivering bunny rabbit – but got the finger wag from a Gilroy Police officer who ticketed the siblings for illegally entering the rushing waters. Scott Adams, 25 – a graduate of Whitworth University in Spokane, Wash., who lettered on the swim team all four years – and Gregory Adams, 14, “intermittently” hop in Uvas Creek if water levels rise, then scope the scene for animals that might be stranded. The two were outfitted for the occasion with thick wetsuits, booties, helmets, boogie boards with ropes, life vests, fins and gloves. The rescue and GPD’s ensuing response hit a surprising nerve with readers: Some applauded the brothers; some said the GPD’s energy was misplaced; others felt the legal action was necessary for enforcing public safety.

PreviousNext

Return to Classifieds