Just Finished Seven Summits And Selling New and Used Gear

A forum for members looking to buy and sell gear from and to each other.
Dow Williams

Re: Just Finished Seven Summits And Selling New and Used Gea

by Dow Williams » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Deb wrote:wow
I really thought this thread was going to be from Jordan Romero. :/

Sry Deb, I believe it is more like our buddy Mel.

DK

by DK » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Heyy congrats on completing the 7 Summits!
Hope you will post a write up on SP :)

surgent

by surgent » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Deb wrote:wow
I really thought this thread was going to be from Jordan Romero. :/

Now there's a real hero.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:52 pm

no offense people, but climbers are not really heros...nor do the real ones want to be...it is a selfish endeavor

The following user would like to thank Dow Williams for this post
mrchad9, Vitaliy M.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Climbing the 7 summits is OK, but you have to save at least one kitten to get my attention.

IvanBraunDK

by IvanBraunDK » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Coffeetable-climbing and mountaineering is a global thing

First of all, grants to Chapter11 in completing the 7 summits, and a even bigger one for your dad to do it. I'm not in the market for you stuff, best of luck in selling it.

Then, I am laughing so loud that I woke up the dog, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL - grown ups flaming like this, its Hilarious. Best part is all these opinions from people that haven't been closer to the seven summits than the coffee table books they bought.

My advise is Just do it, or do a few, and then AFTER, come back and tell us your opinions.

This post of definitely a top candidate for the one of the best posts of the year - absolutely :).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Many negative comments about the 7 summits distill down to this logic:

"The seven summits climbs really just require money! If had the money to throw around, I bet I could do it, too!"

For those who feel this way: welcome to life. Kudos to those who can work hard for so long, that they CAN take the time and spend the money to do this venture. Kudos to those who can convince other people to fund them. Kudos to those who can keep their eyes on the prize, without short-changing family and friends, and take the everyday risks that get them within grasp of their dreams.

Believe it or not, most people don't inherit the money to do big climbs, or fall into such funds by exploiting poor dirt-baggers. Many of these folks got to the goal by working hard in demanding jobs, putting the money away over the years; while still finding time, after long work weeks, to get exercise and experience.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
lefty, MarkDidier, surgent

Denjem

by Denjem » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 pm

MoapaPk, you said so yourself. Who cares, unless he saved a kitten. 11 answer the question!

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:09 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Many of these folks got to the goal by working hard in demanding jobs, putting the money away over the years; while still finding time, after long work weeks, to get exercise and experience.

I can relate to this, but my choices led me to having long vacations by current American standards, followed by enough time and money to currently travel around California frequently with my wife and kids. The easiest way to afford more than that would be to go back to working my butt off again, but I'm satisfied for now. As far as the 7 summits and riskier endeavors, I suspect I will always opt for less expensive trips that don't keep me away from family, nor come with above average risk of not making it back alive. I'm glad I live somewhere that helps my choices work out well for me. Chapter 11 got to see many places I would enjoy seeing and got to share it with his dad. Cool!

What about saving bunnies? I suspect my kitty would have eaten it:

Boys arrested for rescuing bunnies, Feb. 26: After rescuing a marooned rodent from Uvas Creek on a stormy afternoon, two wetsuit-clad Gilroyans were heroes in the eyes of a shivering bunny rabbit – but got the finger wag from a Gilroy Police officer who ticketed the siblings for illegally entering the rushing waters. Scott Adams, 25 – a graduate of Whitworth University in Spokane, Wash., who lettered on the swim team all four years – and Gregory Adams, 14, “intermittently” hop in Uvas Creek if water levels rise, then scope the scene for animals that might be stranded. The two were outfitted for the occasion with thick wetsuits, booties, helmets, boogie boards with ropes, life vests, fins and gloves. The rescue and GPD’s ensuing response hit a surprising nerve with readers: Some applauded the brothers; some said the GPD’s energy was misplaced; others felt the legal action was necessary for enforcing public safety.

surgent

by surgent » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Boys arrested for rescuing bunnies, Feb. 26: After rescuing a marooned rodent from Uvas Creek on a stormy afternoon, two wetsuit-clad Gilroyans were heroes in the eyes of a shivering bunny rabbit – but got the finger wag from a Gilroy Police officer who ticketed the siblings for illegally entering the rushing waters. Scott Adams, 25 – a graduate of Whitworth University in Spokane, Wash., who lettered on the swim team all four years – and Gregory Adams, 14, “intermittently” hop in Uvas Creek if water levels rise, then scope the scene for animals that might be stranded. The two were outfitted for the occasion with thick wetsuits, booties, helmets, boogie boards with ropes, life vests, fins and gloves. The rescue and GPD’s ensuing response hit a surprising nerve with readers: Some applauded the brothers; some said the GPD’s energy was misplaced; others felt the legal action was necessary for enforcing public safety.

I'd hate to be 25 and being called a boy.

My wife and I saved five kittens, bottle-feeding them until old enough to adopt out (we kept two).

The 7-summit thing will always be a lightning rod, attracting attention across the spectrum. It's been an amusing thread, keep it up, all. I have real work to do, but need distractions.

Personally, the mindset of doing them is what interests me. In this case, retiring once done. That was curious to me.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 pm

I think what many folks, who really don't climb much, not via technical abilities anyway...really don't grasp...is that most folks who actually do climb a bit don’t care whether someone wants to buy their way up Everest or the like. The technical skill required is minimal on the common routes the wealthier individuals take up these seven mountains and they are almost exclusively guided and hauled up. Liability and permit rules don’t allow much leeway there. No negative or jealous issues, we just don’t care.

The real issue some have is when one tries to exploit his/her achievements amongst the naive. That being those who might have an interest in mountaineering but really don't know what it is about it yet. The young and/or innocent and/or just plain naive.

If the Dallas, Texas OP had not tried and exploit his achievement by trying to sell his gear at retail prices on an internet forum, we would not be having this discussion.

For the record, some of us could afford it if we wanted to Moapa. You are completely wrong to assume, folks like Radek or I would really have any interest in these objectives. I can't speak for him or others, but the down time alone it would take me to travel to one of these non-challenging (from a technical perspective) objectives is the barrier for me (along with way too many folks around), not the money. I simply can get so much more climbing in during the same amount of time, rock, ice, alpine....experience so many more unique physical challenges.

Regardin these discussions, I always go back to a neighbor of mine in Canmore. Nice enough guy. I would take him out on scrambles, skiing and such. He summited Everest and then made a living by giving motivational speeches to businessmen/women who were naive enough to think he actually was a climber. In reality, he knew nothing of backcountry skiing and could not lead rock or ice at any level. I had to guide him on anything we did.....in between him selling mountaineering for something it really wasn't to the masses back in the cities.

I admit, I have little interest in sharing that way myself, so props to him and his abilities to exploit his experience. I don’t deny him that one bit. If you can make lemonade out of lemons, go for it. Just don’t try and do it on a forum where climbers lurk and then act surprised to be called out.

In the end, some of us see it no different than big game guided hunting on reserves in East Africa. I kind of find that sick. If you are really into killing an animal for sport, how about involving a bit more pride and chasing down a deer in your back woods. That actually takes a lot more talent than shooting a lion from a jeep. Just saying.

The following user would like to thank Dow Williams for this post
Cecilrhodes, fatdad, Fletch, mrchad9, Vitaliy M.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:12 pm

SeanReedy wrote:Boys arrested for rescuing bunnies, Feb. 26: After rescuing a marooned rodent from Uvas Creek on a stormy afternoon, two wetsuit-clad Gilroyans were heroes in the eyes of a shivering bunny rabbit – but got the finger wag from a Gilroy Police officer who ticketed the siblings for illegally entering the rushing waters. Scott Adams, 25 – a graduate of Whitworth University in Spokane, Wash., who lettered on the swim team all four years – and Gregory Adams, 14, “intermittently” hop in Uvas Creek if water levels rise, then scope the scene for animals that might be stranded. The two were outfitted for the occasion with thick wetsuits, booties, helmets, boogie boards with ropes, life vests, fins and gloves. The rescue and GPD’s ensuing response hit a surprising nerve with readers: Some applauded the brothers; some said the GPD’s energy was misplaced; others felt the legal action was necessary for enforcing public safety.

Bunnies are lagomorphs, NOT RODENTS! This just proves my point, and negates every negative comment made by Dow!

(joking!)

I do know a fellow who did the 7 summits (+1). He rarely mentions it, never gives motivational talks. He never logs onto SP, or complains about the ratings of his photos. He went back to life, and his job.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Dow Williams wrote:No negative or jealous issues, we just don’t care.

I admit, I have little interest in sharing that way myself, so props to him and his abilities to exploit his experience. I don’t deny him that one bit. If you can make lemonade out of lemons, go for it. Just don’t try and do it on a forum where climbers lurk and then act surprised to be called out.

In the end, some of us see it no different than big game guided hunting on reserves in East Africa. Just saying.

Well put Dow. Thank you. I'd chime in again but I don't want to be called a bad father a second time.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Yep. Someone passed along Into Thin Air to me several years ago, but I'd rather be out in the mountains than reading it, so it is still gathering dust. Going for the 7 summits would require a mindset I do not share, nor fully understand, for a variety of reasons. Making a living talking about those kinds of trips is not something I can imagine myself doing either. However, I'd need to take a harder look at my own actions before worrying much about the wasteful things others folks might be doing.

Most people don't understand the hikes, scrambles, and occasional minor climbs I do, let alone what the climbers and alpinists out there do. It only has ever gotten under my skin when people have kept talking about how I shouldn't venture out into wilderness at all due to the all the potential danger and risks. It is important to go out prepared for safety and survival, but it is funny the dangers some folks worry so much about compared to what is likely to lead to one's demise.

I like how the article I quoted said the "boys" were "arrested" before mentioning that they were "ticketed." Lagomorphs; I think that is a new one for me. Well at least I learned something today while spending time on SP.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Personally, I'd be interested in a motivational talk from http://latino.myspace.com/johnchristiana .

PreviousNext

Return to Classifieds