Light Summer Mtn Boot?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
sshankle

Light Summer Mtn Boot?

by sshankle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Any suggestions for a light summer mountain boot that is step in compatible?

I really like that La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX, but I don't want to have to spring for new crampons if I don't have to (using old BD Sabertooth with wire front bail).

Thanks!

Scott

phlipdascrip

Re: Light Summer Mtn Boot?

by phlipdascrip » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Asolo Cholatse (TH). I love em to bits. Light, stiff sole, front and back welt. I have wide feet and they fit me very well (though they may not look like it) - try them on if you get the chance.
Other brands now have similar ones now I think, like the Mammut Mamook and another one I don't recall at the moment.

Edit: I read "summer mountaineering" instead of summer mountain boot - though the ones mentioned may be overkill for anything below summer mountaineering, I'm not sure if you'll find less "technical" boots with a front welt (in case you're looking for something more hiking-oriented with a more flexible sole).

The following user would like to thank phlipdascrip for this post
sshankle

Steve Pratt

by Steve Pratt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:10 pm

That's a dying breed. I can understand your question. Most of the lighter boots are new-matic compatible these days. You could consider an all-leather summer boot like the LS Makalu, though it isn't especially light weight. Or you could update the crampons (maybe fond a pair used or on sale) and get one of the new generation super lights like the Garmont Vetta Plus or Zamberlan Monster. Those boots are very versatile warm weather boots.

The following user would like to thank Steve Pratt for this post
sshankle

sshankle

by sshankle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks guys. I am looking for a mountaineering boot, just to be clear. Hope to head to some sierra alpine ice this fall.

Would these be overkill? Anybody know if they are insulated? I have a pair of insulated, and may just wear them...

La Sportiva Trango Extreme EVO Light GTX

Dane1

by Dane1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:35 am

sshankle wrote: La Sportiva Trango Extreme EVO Light GTX

They are insulated and do take clip ons perfectly. Great alpine ice boot. Good fit, warm enough for some winter use and rigid sole for ice climbing. Super sticky rubber sole as well. Great lwt boot. Lightest ice boot out there. Little soft in the ankle. But that makes them walk better. I'm soloing mid winter in a pair on my avatar photo,

Good look at two lwts boots here:

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... e-gtx.html

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:46 am

I wear this one in the desert. It seems to be really comfortable on rock, and is quite durable.

Of course, they wouldn't be too good in snow.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:51 am

La Sportiva Trango Extreme EVO Light GTX will work great if you do not want to flip the bill for a new pair of pons to fit the La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX which run 110.00 cheaper.

BC Gear just happens to have these on sale for 322.00.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
sshankle

Deb

by Deb » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:31 am

sshankle wrote:Thanks guys. I am looking for a mountaineering boot, just to be clear. Hope to head to some sierra alpine ice this fall.

Would these be overkill? Anybody know if they are insulated? I have a pair of insulated, and may just wear them...

These would be good boots for alpine ice but probably not so comfy on trail in the summer....kinda warm. I lived in Trango Evos for 7 years; 9 months out of the year I was in the Sierra in snow/ice. LOVE the boots so much that I got the Nepals for winter this past season.

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
sshankle

kellendv

by kellendv » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:24 am

sshankle wrote:Thanks guys. I am looking for a mountaineering boot, just to be clear. Hope to head to some sierra alpine ice this fall.

I've been using that exact boot for a few seasons now. When I bought it, it seemed like the perfect Sierra boot, a slight step up from the standard red trango's that would provide a better platform for ice climbing. I've climbed waterfall and alpine ice in them, and rock with and without crampons, they have been absolutely awesome! The insulation is minimal, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have consistently had a problem with warm feet. Adjust your socks for the weather and you will be fine. Over time the forefoot has become slightly more flexible, which only means they hike a little better. I highly recommend the boot!

-Kellen

The following user would like to thank kellendv for this post
sshankle

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Dane1 wrote:
sshankle wrote: La Sportiva Trango Extreme EVO Light GTX

(...) Lightest ice boot out there.

just FYI - it's practically the same weight as the asolo cholatse.
http://rockandice.com/articles/how-to-c ... holatse-th

Dane1

by Dane1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:30 pm

practically?

;-) Cholatse fits wider feet better than the Trango and has a softer flexing mid sole.

Tiny bit more support in the ankle on the Asolo and the gaiter is nice. Both are good boots, just different.

The most important feature of any boot is how they fit. I suspect that anyone liking the fit of a Sportiva won't be happy in a Asolo.

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Dane1 wrote:practically?

Going by manufacturer specs they're off by 30 grams.

Dane1 wrote:I suspect that anyone liking the fit of a Sportiva won't be happy in a Asolo.

Likely, cause Sportiva doesn't fit me :)

sshankle

by sshankle » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks for all the input everybody!

I'm still looking, but I'm leaning toward the Trango Extreme EVOs. I wish they had my size in the EMS 20% off 1 item sale!

WDW4

by WDW4 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:46 am

This is way late for the original poster, but for those with the same question now... I love my Kayland Apex Rock boots. Light, comfortable, and semi rigid for use with crampons.

Return to Gear