VICTORY OVER 9th DISTRICT FLREA FEES

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Aaron Johnson

VICTORY OVER 9th DISTRICT FLREA FEES

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 am

Good news for anti-fee supporters!

WESTERN SLOPE NO FEE COALITION

The FLREA has received a serious blow. Whether the FS complies and how long they'll take in doing so remains to be seen. Be vigilant, politely educate FS employees that may not know about this ruling, by design or by ignorance. The 9th District is LARGE and affects states from Arizona up to Washington, including California and states in between. This ruling is precedent setting for other districts as well. If you don't want to read the whole thing, be sure to check out the summary at the end.

And remember. DON'T PAY ANY FEE unless you use the ammenities!

Congratulations to those who fought this battle in the 9th district! Well done!

The following user would like to thank Aaron Johnson for this post
asmrz, Greg Enright, mrchad9, Woodie Hopper

no avatar
The Chief

Re: VICTORY OVER 9th DISTRICT FLREA FEES

by The Chief » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:25 am

Good Job and Post Aaron. Thanks for doing so.......

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 am

Awesomesauce. I can't wait to read the ruling. Things just got easier.

Bye bye Adventure Pass!

colinr

by colinr » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:29 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaI5IRuS2aE[/youtube]

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:19 pm

3Deserts wrote:I have half a mind to print out a copy of the ruling and put it on my windshield when parked in relevant areas.

I actually did make a printout, to keep in my vehicle.

cab

by cab » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Damn, I just bought an Adventure Pass last month.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Excellent ideas! You'll be educating the employees that will be in (or are kept in) the deark! Some might see the ruling and issue a ticket anyway out of spite. You should probably ave the file and be prepared to run off multiple copies.

I put a notice on my vehicle that simply stated the FLREA rules and it was ignored. In turn I ignored the fee. I haven't heard a peep from anyone.

If you read the WSNF web site, you know this will have far reaching implications to the other districts, which includes Colorado and the Mount Evans debacle. I'll keep you all posted.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Aaron Johnson wrote:I put a notice on my vehicle that simply stated the FLREA rules and it was ignored. In turn I ignored the fee. I haven't heard a peep from anyone.

Yes that is my expectation. Ignore the pass, they ticket anyway, ignore the ticket, nothing happens...

I wonder if this could go so far as to affect CA snow parks (most are in national forests). Though I already have that annual pass. Suppose I have till next year to figure it out.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:25 pm

mrchad9 wrote:I wonder if this could go so far as to affect CA snow parks (most are in national forests). Though I already have that annual pass. Suppose I have till next year to figure it out.

The SNO-PARK pass pays for the plowing of the turnouts used to park vehicles, so by parking there you've availed yourself of the service. I'd be surprised if it applied in this case.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:I wonder if this could go so far as to affect CA snow parks (most are in national forests). Though I already have that annual pass. Suppose I have till next year to figure it out.

The SNO-PARK pass pays for the plowing of the turnouts used to park vehicles, so by parking there you've availed yourself of the service. I'd be surprised if it applied in this case.

Yes I can follow that interpretation, and likely agree with it. Nor do I have much issue with the snow park permit since it is easily purchased online and I get good use out of it. The Adventure Pass is more of a pain.

But a similar (though weaker) arguement could have been made for the areas the ruling undoubtedly applies to... that the fees to the NFS go towards maintaining the parking lots and roads (paved or unpaid) that are being utilized. At a glance, if the snow park does not have a permanent restroom facility, picnic tables, and the other amenities listed, it appears it may cover snow parks as well. Maybe.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:08 am

You know, I get daily updates of appellate court decisions and posted the opinion on Supertopo the day it issued. Shame on me for not doing so here.

Definitely good news in my opinion. We'll see how quickly the Angeles NF decides how they're going to deal with the issue. I suspect they'll still be handing out notices, even if they can't enforce them.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:51 am

They are counting on the ignorance of the masses when they continue to hand out tickets. So, in that case, IGNORE THEM! Ha ha ha ha!

They will still get money from the ignorant and uninformed and they will do it as long as they can get away with it. So spread the word. Power IS the people.

My favorite saying by Thomas Jefferson:

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:29 pm

The Forest service is dropping fees! Check it out in the LA TIMES:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 3639.story

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Aaron Johnson wrote:The Forest service is dropping fees! Check it out in the LA TIMES:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 3639.story

WINNING!

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Great news. TFPU Aaron. It looks like they're still going to charge fees in some places (probably where they have paved parking lot and facilities, maybe like the Ice House Canyon parking area?) but most other places will be "free" once again.

Return to General