Rope Soap

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
RyderS

Rope Soap

by RyderS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Anyone have recommendations for rope soap? My rope is getting pretty skanky even though I have soaked it in the tub multiple times (without soap). Is Beal's soap any good?

ExcitableBoy

Re: Rope Soap

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:56 pm

I haven't used this personally, but I have been very happy with all the Nikwax products I have used. Plus it is supposed to help keep your rope dry: http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/pr ... ductid=271 When washing my rope in the washing machine I run a full cycle through to make sure no bleach or other detergents are left as residue and I daisy chain the rope to help protect from tangling in the mechanisms.

RyderS

by RyderS » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:19 am

Okay, thanks. Just one thing: the Nikwax soap you posted seems to be more oriented towards the waterproofing aspect of rope care, considering it's "wash-in" waterproofing. I'll still pick up a bottle of it anyways since my rope is (was?) dry treated. But is the Nikwax something I might want to complement with a 'regular' bottle of rope soap (clean and then dry treat), or does the Nikwax eork as both?

Okay, now I'll stop asking so many questions all at once...

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 am

Nikwax also makes "Techwash" general soap for cleaning DWR-finished stuff.

I personally thing any non-detergent soap is gonna be adequate, but the Techwash isn't a bad idea if the dry treatment is especially important for you (ice/alpine)
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Return to Gear