How did you learn to climb ice?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Flattlander

Re: How did you learn to climb ice?

by Flattlander » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:08 am

Thanks...Standard Route on Frankenstein Cliffs is something I followed last winter as part of a class. Easy and fun...got to watch Kevin Mahoney climb that day, too, which was neat. I will post in all of those forums you mentioned. And, of course, if you want to meet up and climb (since you live near me), let me know.

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:17 am

fatdad wrote:Given where you live, before investing in a bunch of gear and going for it, I'd suggest taking a class or two. Go with a reputable guide, not the first chump they throw at you. I've seen some really lousy, inexperienced guides out there. You'll bump up your learning curve significantly and also get a good sampling of what kind of gear you like/don't like, etc., before you dump some serious coin for your set up.

Yes, ice climbing gear is insanely expensive. I have some of it, and will get the rest as time goes on. Like I said, I have taken classes--three to be exact--with three different guides. They were all fantastic teachers with their own styles. One of them told me stories of how he learned technical climbing--by trial and error. He didn't recommend it. Experiential learning is great, even when it is hazardous. As a student of both climbing and education, the responses on this thread have been great.

In the end, all I really need is someone who know what the f#*k they're doing to humor me and climb some s@*t with me.

jrisku

by jrisku » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:46 am

Here are the books I promised to dig out. They're very different from each other, but liked the both + main reason for me to read these was to get more some mountaineering knowledge + to learn about best way to build the belay anchors / fluent changes of leader for multi-pitch climbs. Have to say though, that the best way of multi pitch belay anchors / fluent changes of leader wasn't really well covered in these (learned through experience, reading Will's and Dane's blogs, talking to others + thinking it through while writing an article about it). So here are the books:

1. Winter Skills by Andy Cunningham and Allen Fyffe, ISBN-10: 0-9541511-3-5, ISBN-13: 978-0-9541511-3-3
2. Ice & Mixed Climbing: Modern Technique by Will Gadd, ISBN-10: 0-89886-769-x, ISBN-13: 978-0-89886-769-5

The following user would like to thank jrisku for this post
Flattlander

bird

by bird » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Flattlander wrote:This is a question for ice climbers out there: How did you learn? How did you get to the point where you could go out and climb waterfalls and gullies? Classes? More experienced friends? Just doing it?

The reason I ask is that I started learning last winter by taking classes. It was great experience, and I learned a lot and climbed some cool stuff in a controlled environment, with a guide on the sharp end. Then winter ended. I'm now thinking about this upcoming winter and asking myself, "How the heck am I going to continue my ice climbing education? I have no friends who climb ice, and I still have a lot to learn."

As I think about what my next move should be, I'm interested in hearing your stories.

Ask kozman18 to take you climbing :D

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun May 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Flattlander wrote:How did you learn?

I was too poor to afford the proper gear, so....

I got some 2-inch wide flat steel bars in a junkyard and sawed them down to fit between my flexible boots and flexible crampons.

Voilà! Rigid ice-climbing gear.

Then I went to the ice and just started "bouldering" around the base of the frozen waterfalls.

Previous

Return to General