Best Time to Climb South Sister This Summer

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Buck

Best Time to Climb South Sister This Summer

by Buck » Mon May 28, 2012 8:35 pm

My daughter, boyfriend, niece and I are going to climb the South Sister this summer, but we haven't scheduled a specific climbing date yet. It seems like we're having cool, wet spring so far and I am thinking it would be best to climb after much of the snow is melted since we'll be wearing hiking boots and don't have crampons and ice axes. I've climbed a number of NW mountains, but the rest of the party has never climbed and I'm thinking this would be a good break-in to learn about mountaineering.

I would love some advice on the best range of dates to make this climb. Thanks a bunch.

philoparts

Re: Best Time to Climb South Sister This Summer

by philoparts » Mon May 28, 2012 10:00 pm

The following user would like to thank philoparts for this post
Buck

Snowslogger

Re: Best Time to Climb South Sister This Summer

by Snowslogger » Mon May 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Buck wrote:My daughter, boyfriend, niece and I are going to climb the South Sister this summer, but we haven't scheduled a specific climbing date yet. It seems like we're having cool, wet spring so far and I am thinking it would be best to climb after much of the snow is melted since we'll be wearing hiking boots and don't have crampons and ice axes. I've climbed a number of NW mountains, but the rest of the party has never climbed and I'm thinking this would be a good break-in to learn about mountaineering.

I would love some advice on the best range of dates to make this climb. Thanks a bunch.

August - September

The following user would like to thank Snowslogger for this post
Buck

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)