Looking for a video

A forum for members looking to buy and sell gear from and to each other.
no avatar
peakbagr48

Looking for a video

by peakbagr48 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm looking for a video that someone may have recorded. The show is Turning Point and the segment was called "Mountain Without Mercy" The Everest Story It was about the 1996 Tragedy. It was aired in either late 1996 or early 1997. If anyone can help me that would be great. Thanks

nartreb

Re: Looking for a video

by nartreb » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:03 pm

That was an ABC News production. They have a library of archived footage here:
http://www.abcnewsvsource.com/

I don't think the segment you want is online, but that page gives some contact info you may find useful.

BTW I think that title was ripped off from the 1997 Broughton Coburn book about 1996, centered on the Breashears expedition. Published by National Geographic, ISBN 0792270142; you can find used hardcover copies selling for 99 cents online.

I don't think ABC news had their own film crew anywhere near Everest, so I assume the Turning Point footage was largely borrowed from the Breashears expedition's IMAX footage.

no avatar
peakbagr48

Re: Looking for a video

by peakbagr48 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks You're right about the title; I have the book. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the footage is a reenactment. I just got the Breashears dvd, "Storm Over Everest" It's very similar with interviews with a lot of the people involved. The only thing is, it's years later. When the Turning Point show aired I recorded on VHS; that's how long ago that was. I must've lent it to someone and never got it back; who knows. I've been on the ABC website and found that there aren't dvd's available. I was hoping maybe someone else recorded it and I could get a copy, even if it was on VHS. It was fresher on everyone involved mind and I'd like to compare. So if anybody out there happened to record this show I'd appreciate some feedback Thanks.

Return to Classifieds