Buckskin Gulch / Paria Canyon in late November

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
markv

Buckskin Gulch / Paria Canyon in late November

by markv » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 am

Hi. I've done this trip a couple of times, including once in mid-March when i didn't think it was too cold. That said, i can't find any info of people doing it this time of year, and the BLM site's (confusing) graph seems to indicate highs of 50 and lows of 25, which i assume means water temps of 35-40.

Anyone with personal experience anytime between mid-November to mid-December? I'd like to give it a go, but with the shuttle complications i'm looking for some assurance that we'll make it forward one-way without frostbite/hypothermia issues. I'm leaning towards getting some neoprene socks and otherwise just carrying regular gear, but i'm listening...

Gafoto

Re: Buckskin Gulch / Paria Canyon in late November

by Gafoto » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:07 am

Not that I can speak to Buckskin Gulch specifically but those highs and lows are probably fairly accurate. It's not uncommon to see an even greater temperature swing from day to night. I've definitely experienced high teens to mid fifties in a single day.

Return to Utah