Knapsack Pass vs. Thunderbolt Pass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
schaffner

Knapsack Pass vs. Thunderbolt Pass

by schaffner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:42 am

Withou snow, which way is more pleasant/faster to get to the NE end of Barrett Lakes from Bishop Pass: via Thunderbolt Pass or staying longer on trail but with potentially less talus via Knapsack Pass?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Knapsack Pass vs. Thunderbolt Pass

by Bob Burd » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:50 am

Thunderbolt Pass is certainly faster. Neither is particularly pleasant - lots of talus/boulders.

RickF

by RickF » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:28 am

I agree that Thunderbolt is more direct but.... T-bolt is much rockier, has more boulder scrambling and entails more vertical gain & drop to get to Barrett Lakes. If you're climbing light & fast with Palisades as destination I'd recommend T-bolt pass. But if you're carrying an overnight pack and planning on making base-camp at Barrett Lakes I'd reccomend Knapsack Pass. On my last trip we carried multi-day packs to Barrett Lakes. We entered via T-bolt and exited via Knapsack. The loop is a nice option for more variety of scenery.

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:16 am

Thunderbolt is faster but probably less pleasant overall. If you have the time to burn I'd say Knapsack is nicer. Thunderbolt is a bitch, especially coming back over to Bishop Pass. Quickest way back though.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:04 pm

We just had the same decision to make a few weeks ago and, hands down, opted for Knapsack Pass as we were humping heavy, multiday loads full of food and gear/pro. Knapsack isn't bad at all with a week's-worth of gear on your back, especially if you stay toward the center of the pass on the Bishops Pass side. Otherwise, navigating the large boulders can become a bit cumbersome.

Enjoy!

Sarah
Go climb a mountain

myles

by myles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:28 pm

I've done both with multi-day loads, and even with a big pack, I prefer Thunderbolt. If you drop down on the trail from Bishop Pass, the cross country is pretty mellow, and the final talus bashing is worth the distance saved--just me. Using one or the other on the way in or out does make a nice change, and the view from Knapsack is spectacular.

no avatar
schaffner

by schaffner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks everybody. I will keep it in mind, although my plans for this weekend in that area just got smashed by NWS :-( I have the impression there have been Tstorms all season long.

peninsula

by peninsula » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 pm

schaffner wrote:Thanks everybody. I will keep it in mind, although my plans for this weekend in that area just got smashed by NWS :-( I have the impression there have been Tstorms all season long.

It has been another year of generous monsoonal patterns. For what it is worth, Knapsack is a piece of cake if you want an easy route even if it may be the longer of the two choices. Best of luck!

Return to California