Tell me there's some ice on Tahquitz...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
saltlick

Tell me there's some ice on Tahquitz...

by saltlick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:13 am

The webcams are worthless and I'm hoping to avoid the drive if there's only a bit of drifted neve in the corners. Anyone been up lately?

asmrz

Re: Tell me there's some ice on Tahquitz...

by asmrz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:18 pm

This is Tahquitz Peak and Tahquitz Rock view from the summit of Marion Mountain. We hiked to Marion on Sunday. There is about a foot and half of snow at above 8,000'.

Not much more snow at 10,000' either.

Temperatures have been very cold, 10-12 degrees at our house here in the "Banana Belt" of Idyllwild (5,200') in the morning.

Tahquitz Rock has snow on ledges, not much, if any ice. We hiked the North Gully last Wednesday, The NE Rib has a few ice streaks, but nothing major. The Trough has snow in it, but I don't see anything blue up there. We need a few major storms.

On the other hand, there is nobody up there on the rock or hiking in the mountains. You can always do some extra cold rock climbing...

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
fatdad, saltlick

x15x15

Re: Tell me there's some ice on Tahquitz...

by x15x15 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 pm

I went for a cold and loney hike, hoping for something but knowing tahquitz needs more than cold for ice to form. It was a lonely hike, and i scratched the rock a bit, even found an ice smear or two, but for the most part the white is not ice... still, its good fun and alpine practice...

7 degrees on the thermometer up in fern valley a couple mornings ago.

The following user would like to thank x15x15 for this post
fatdad

Return to California