Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by Bob Sihler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:First Brian thinks I am a douche, now you do. Well, you were probably before him but not in this thread.

Chad, you can be very "douchy" at times. I'm sure more than Brian and Marmaduke think so. Just sayin'...you ARE an asshole at times...

You're not wrong, you're just an asshole!

Well, he was a high-ranking member of the Douchebag 8!
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
Your son was not sick through 'first year and half of my first season plus', that happened on your second year. Can't believe you forgot. As I remember, on the first year Chad was trying to invite you to do different outings and you had some silly excuse every time...........

June 6th 2010 was our first trip to the hospital. That was 6 months after I joined SP and I had stated many times, as I was new to this, I was waiting for the snow melt as I wasn't venturing out until then........then I was going to the hospital with my boy. Like I said, "Good or great climbers, or those with good or great pages doesn't translate to good or great people".

Enough said, your post defines your character.

Omg I almost dropped a tear. Please try not to make excuses for not getting out by bringing your son's illness into it, really lame of you. If pointing out the obvious makes me an asshole, so be it. But you had many many weekends when you were free, and bailed last minute due to some excuse. I remember multiple times that Chad told me you were coming on a trip with him, just to bail last minute. It got to the point when I would just laugh if he mentioned you were thinking of joining.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:55 pm

asmrz wrote:The 1970-1990 guidebooks were not interested in correctly rating the "easy" climbs on Tahquitz and in fact, to this day, the easier routes have not been seriously examined by guide books authors. IMO it is those who are just starting out, that need a lot of clear info on these so called easy routes...

I agree. Since 'leading my first 5.8' happened not that long ago, I must say that people getting on the beginner climbs need a bit more attention. When you are a beginner you are not great at placing protection, the falls are usually not 'clean', you are likely at your limit, and nervous. It is nice to have sites like mountainproject where you have opinions from other climbers who did the route on how it protects, what is the crux, etc.
When you improve you are still nervous, but at least you know how to place gear and have cleaner falls. I remember being nervous leading Munginella (5.6) couple years ago, as much as I was on Outer Limits (5.10c) a few month ago.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:42 pm

@ Bib Sihler: Why an 8? Chad prefers a 9. 8)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:24 am

Kiefer Thomas wrote:EVERYONE.....Needs to heed the words of that old sage, William Shatner.

Sorry, couldn't resist a follow-up on what KT said ..

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 am

Legpowered wrote: For a YDS-UIAA conversion I created I was told by one member that they "hated it"

I'm the one who used the "hated it" phrase. Legpowered thought I was referring to his article, whereas I was referring to a source he was relying on for one aspect of his conversion table. I explained this to LP, sincerely apologized for my careless phrasing, and he seemed to understand. I believe I and some others later collaborated, with editing rights LP gave us, on getting that part of his conversion table recalibrated. Or maybe I'm getting that mixed up. Anyway, the table was changed, apologies accepted, and I thought LP and I were back on good terms.

My original criticism, though poorly phrased, was at the core of what comments and "additions/corrections" are there for. I thought LP's original conversion table had the potential to seriously mislead visiting scramblers and peak baggers into getting themselves into trouble (he had picked up on the UIAA notion that YDS class 4 is a type of walking, not even rising into the zone of UIAA I scrambles in Europe). So I and some others advocated that he re-jigger his table, and he seemed to eventually agree that the criticism was well-taken.

And so, I am a little surprised that LP is dredging up this ancient, minor critique that was long since worked out, as being something that makes it intolerable for him to hang around here. But there it is.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:26 am

OMG.

If Legpowered was dragging chugach mtn boy into this then he has truely gone of the deep end. He's cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

See why you can't take these little 'everybody's a meanie but me' posts too seriously Marmaduke?

When you have an issue with that many people, maybe the problem isn't everyone else eh?

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:14 am

OMG. He's calling me a cocoa puff. That is definitely going on the list, Chad.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 am

GMO, I think that's whats in them. :wink:

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
chugach mtn boy, lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:GMO, I think that's whats in them. :wink:

Genetically Modified Organism ? See, you younger dudes don't THINK a much older fart like me knows what you're texting to one another ??? ..... :lol:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:
Legpowered wrote: For a YDS-UIAA conversion I created I was told by one member that they "hated it"

I'm the one who used the "hated it" phrase. Legpowered thought I was referring to his article, whereas I was referring to a source he was relying on for one aspect of his conversion table. I explained this to LP, sincerely apologized for my careless phrasing, and he seemed to understand. I believe I and some others later collaborated, with editing rights LP gave us, on getting that part of his conversion table recalibrated. Or maybe I'm getting that mixed up. Anyway, the table was changed, apologies accepted, and I thought LP and I were back on good terms.

My original criticism, though poorly phrased, was at the core of what comments and "additions/corrections" are there for. I thought LP's original conversion table had the potential to seriously mislead visiting scramblers and peak baggers into getting themselves into trouble (he had picked up on the UIAA notion that YDS class 4 is a type of walking, not even rising into the zone of UIAA I scrambles in Europe). So I and some others advocated that he re-jigger his table, and he seemed to eventually agree that the criticism was well-taken.

And so, I am a little surprised that LP is dredging up this ancient, minor critique that was long since worked out, as being something that makes it intolerable for him to hang around here. But there it is.

I was surprised, too. I knew you were the person he was referring to because I remember seeing the comment exchange, but I also remember it ending amicably and you handling yourself diplomatically.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:57 pm

lcarreau wrote:Genetically Modified Organism ? See, you younger dudes don't THINK a much older fart like me knows what you're texting to one another ??? ..... :lol:

I think you got it. I actually didn't think too hard on what the "O" stood for. Wanna know the best part about this? I've never sent a text message in my entire life. :wink: But that's probably because I've never owned a working cell phone.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Well that explains why my naked pics didn't go through to you.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Well that explains why my naked pics didn't go through to you.

Yeah, um, those went to me instead, Chad. :oops:
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
Bob Sihler

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Alright settle down. I'll send you an email when I get home.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
aran

PreviousNext

Return to General