Pyrenees (Gavarnie area) July - should I cancel trip?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
nickw1

Pyrenees (Gavarnie area) July - should I cancel trip?

by nickw1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:28 am

Hi,

I have booked two weeks in the Pyrenees (Cauterets and Gavarnie area, including a trek over to Torla) from July 11th to 26th.

However I've heard many reports that they have had the spring from hell down there, the mountains are completely inaccessible and more like mid-winter than mid-summer. Having had a disappointingly rainy holiday in the Tirol last summer I really don't want to spend another holiday holed up unable to get onto the mountains. Peaks I was wanting to attempt include Taillon and Monte Perdido, via the "easy" (F) routes - was also thinking of Cilindro de Marbore (PD) but with the conditions I suspect that's out.

I can't get my money back on my transport (train) but might be able to on accommodation. I know things *could* change in the next 3 weeks but the forecast for SW France for the next week, while dry, isn't exactly warm (struggling to get above 20C at Pau) so wondering whether anyone would seriously recommend that I cancel?

Thanks,
Nick

no avatar
bdynkin

Re: Pyrenees (Gavarnie area) July - should I cancel trip?

by bdynkin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 pm

We just got back from a 6-day hiking trip (June 22 to 27) in Parc Nacional d'Aigüestortes i Estany de Sant Maurici. Yes, it was a lot of snow but it made things more interesting. We went right after the flooding and had to change our start/end points as we could not get to Salardu. However, we did pretty much all we planned and some more. Carried ice axes and crampons and used them a lot.

Return to Europe