Need Suggestions: Great Lakes Climbing for Kids

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
IagosGhost

Need Suggestions: Great Lakes Climbing for Kids

by IagosGhost » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Hey everyone,

I am planning another epic family adventure. This summer we plan on bagging the state highpoints in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

We're hiking Eagle Mtn. then slowly make our way back down to Duluth enjoying the sites as we go. I'm looking for easy rock climbing for my kids aged 13, 11, 9, 7 in the North Shore or Duluth area. They've had a rock climbing class at the local YMCA so they're used to being in a harness. But I don't think they really learned any climbing technique or skills. What areas might be good for very easy kids climbing where I can top rope them?

Also, I need suggestions for possible camp sites near the highpoints in Wisconsin and Michigan. After Mt. Arvon we plan on visiting Pictured Rocks Natl. Lakeshore then going south across the Mackinac bridge and travel down the east shore of Lake Michigan stopping at Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for this part of Michigan. Again, looking for family-friendly attractions.

We've never been to this part of the country, and we are all really excited about this!

Thanks in advance for the advice.
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"

Tonka

Re: Need Suggestions: Great Lakes Climbing for Kids

by Tonka » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)