Hotels in Lone Pine.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jeffh25

Hotels in Lone Pine.

by jeffh25 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm sure this has probably been discussed ad nauseum on here before but... Where would you stay in Lone Pine? It will be the night after I do Whitney so there won't be any acclimating issues and it would be a Saturday if that makes any difference. I just know we'll be dead from the hike and looking for a place to pass out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Monster5

Re: Hotels in Lone Pine.

by Monster5 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:07 pm

We normally camp for free out on a dirt road E of the main Alabama Hills south off the Whitney Portal Rd. Right across the creek from established campgrounds. No idea on legality, but we've done it a few times.

We've also stayed in the hostel there (corner of the main street and portal road) since splitting the cost wasn't too much more expensive than just getting a shower. Hot and no AC (turned off? April), but it was a cheap, clean bed furnished by somebody's deceased grandmother.

Otherwise, the other hotels/inns all seemed to be in the 80-150 range. Plenty of them to choose from. Cookie cutter hotels to inns.

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Doug Thompson's Hostel in LP. You can share a room or (for a little more) have one of your own. A lot of hikers and Whitney travelers stay there. It's across from Mt Whitney Cafe.

Tonka

by Tonka » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:28 pm

Dow Villa. They have both motel style and private rooms with a shared bath in the main lodge. Prices are reasonable. Pig out at Maggies Merry-Go-Round, take a dip in the Dow's pool, have a couple of tasties and you're set.

nicozone

by nicozone » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:42 pm

We did a quick Mt. Whitney climb (Mountaineers), and stayed at the Americans Best Value Inn in Bishop the night before. There were more options in Bishop, but the quality is definitely lacking. We just needed a place with a shower and a bed.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:48 pm

It's warm down in Owens Valley. Hang out in a restaurant or bar, lots of dirt roads you can pull over in and sleep under the stars for free. Wash up in one of the creeks after your trip... the folks in Los Angeles can drink it later.

This has always gotten me a better nights sleep than any budget hotel room.

rlshattuck

by rlshattuck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 am

Has no one mentioned that the Dow Villa is the only place in town with a HOT TUB. nothing beats a post-climb (or better yet, post-JMT) evening spent wandering where there is to wander in LP, and then sitting in the hot tub, recounting your adventures . . .

You can Stay at the whitney portal hostel, but do you want to bunk with a bunch of other people? The economy rooms at the Dow are about $55 with the bathrooms and showers down the hall.

You might think to bring ear plugs as the air-conditioning goes, kinda loudly until about 2 a.m.

There are a few motel/hotels south of the downtown area, by about 1.5 miles (basically down near the permit office) which you might book, but then realize they are way out of town as far as as amenities . . . The Dow, the Hostel––both right there in the thick of it . . . laundry, bars, market, pizza . . . if you have a car and you don
t mid driving then stay at one of the places south of town.

There isn't really a "north of town" . . . once you pass the burger king or whatever it is, you're out of town, unless you are headed for either Manzanar or the graveyard.

Ambret

by Ambret » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:32 am

I've stayed a couple of times at the Lone Pine Best Western and Comfort Inn (both on the south side of town, as rishattuck notes) -- your average Best Western and Comfort Inn.

One thing: if you are planning on staying in a motel on a Saturday night in the summer, make a reservation in advance. There are not a lot of hotels along 395, and they fill up fast. Several years back, a friend of mine and I came back from hiking Mt Langley to find all the motels in Lone Pine booked; we ended up finally getting a room after our fourth call to a motel in Bishop.

boyblue

by boyblue » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:39 am

Catamount wrote:
Tonka wrote:Dow Villa. They have both motel style and private rooms with a shared bath in the main lodge. Prices are reasonable. Pig out at Maggies Merry-Go-Round, take a dip in the Dow's pool, have a couple of tasties and you're set.

+1

I stayed there in a regular room before climbing Whitney and in a bunk room after climbing Whitney. Great place.

I once hiked across the Sierra from Crescent Meadow. The Dow was the first place I saw when I limped into Lone Pine, so that's where I stayed. I didn't have the energy to shop for motels on foot. :) I took a single room which was just a bed, a chair, and a sink in the corner- no TV (not missed). The common bathroom was down the hall. The price of $8.00 a night was a bargain even for the late 70's, so I ended up staying a couple of nights to resupply, recover and get my boots repaired for the long hike back to the car.

I believe movie actors and film crews used to stay there while filming those 'B' westerns in the Alabama Hills back in the 30's.

Carbo

by Carbo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 pm

I have stayed in Comfort Inn and Dow villa. Dow villa has you closer to amenities, Comfort in you are a bit out (so perhaps a possibility of being less busy/noisy).

Another option is the cabin style room of Mt Williamson motel in Independence. The old lady running it includes a great breakfast.

Return to California