Overlapping Photo Pages

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Buz Groshong

Overlapping Photo Pages

by Buz Groshong » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm

When viewing the photo pages for a mountain, I noticed that there was an overlap of about 4 photos between successive pages. Can't we get rid of this?

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Overlapping Photo Pages

by Bob Sihler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Please explain more clearly, perhaps with a link to the page you were viewing.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:50 pm

This was supposed to be corrected with SPv3, and largely has. I used to see it all the time but haven't seen it since. Is it just happening with old browsers? Yeah a link would help too!

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:26 pm

I can't seem to find the problem again.

It occurred to me that because I was voting on some of the pictures as I went through the pages, it might have been that my votes rearranged the photos and while the forward arrow would lead to the new version of the next page, the back arrow would lead to the old version of that page. Only problem with that logic is that my votes should have moved the photos I voted on to a previous page but should not move any photos to a later page.

I'll do some more looking.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:31 pm

If that's what you're describing, then yes, that's exactly what happened. I think some of us thought you were talking about images overlapping each other on page displays themselves.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Found it!

See http://www.summitpost.org/matterhorn-monte-cervino/images/p-150235/p23

And http://www.summitpost.org/matterhorn-monte-cervino/images/p-150235/p24

Actually some are duplicated, but the order isn't the same. See photos by gimpilator, fogliczech, Chandra, Corvus, and Antonio Giani. Same pictures on both pages (bottom of first page and top of next page).
Last edited by Buz Groshong on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
Bob Sihler

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:If that's what you're describing, then yes, that's exactly what happened. I think some of us thought you were talking about images overlapping each other on page displays themselves.

Sorry to disagree, but I just duplicated it without doing any voting.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:52 pm

The issue isn't happening for me.

Is what you are seeing is that photos with tied scores are not always showing up in the same order?

Sounds like that is possibly issue, that they get rearranged. This isn't supposed to happen... if scores are tied then the more recent submission is supposed to get the preferred treatment.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:32 pm

What I'm seeing is some of the exact same photos on two consecutive pages - at the bottom of the first page and then again at the top of the subsequent page.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:53 pm

I see what Buz is talking about now. For example, I saw the following picture in different spots on consecutive pages: http://www.summitpost.org/sunset-on-rif ... 6/c-150235.

It is one of several with the same score, so it seems there is some random or semi-random mixing of same-score images going on in the page galleries.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:I see what Buz is talking about now. For example, I saw the following picture in different spots on consecutive pages: http://www.summitpost.org/sunset-on-rif ... 6/c-150235.

It is one of several with the same score, so it seems there is some random or semi-random mixing of same-score images going on in the page galleries.

Unfortunately, the example I cited above no longer are the same. Apparently, as you say, the program is displaying photos with the same score in a random order and that random order does not stay the same. There are so many photos with the same score on those two pages that this random presentation means that a page will not be the same when you look at it two times in a row if you have deleted your browsing history in between.

Return to Site Feedback