Name Variations

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
BLong

Name Variations

by BLong » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 pm

I am curious if it is possible to include under "Query Name" (whether you are creating a page for a mountain, trip report, photo album, etc) a second box for alternate spellings. For example, the when searching on SummitPost for the mountain "Mustagh Ata" one doesn't find anything. There is some debate about the proper spelling of the peak, and it turns out that the page exists under the name "Muztagh Ata". Maybe this is an html feature that the moderators could add to specific pages with confusing etymology?

I mean, if Dynafit spells their skis "Mustagh Ata" that must be the proper spelling, right? :lol:

Thanks for hearing my request.

The following user would like to thank BLong for this post
Scott

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Name Variations

by Scott » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:16 pm

I think that's a great idea. The only problem I see is that most people don't seem to be using the query box, but maybe they should.

Along that same line, maybe there should be a box at the top for alternate names. Most people put them in the text. For example, Scipio Peak, Fool Peak and Fool Creek Peak are all the same mountain, but various maps use different names. Same with Signal Peak/Glenwood Mountain or Mollies Nipple/Marys Nipple/Musina Peak. Many peaks have various names, even on official maps.

As for the proper name of the peak in question, it is either 慕士塔格峰 or مۇز تاغ ئاتا depending on if you speak Chinese or Uyghur. I guess the English language can't seem to figure out how many words "Father of Ice Mountains" should be.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
BLong

Return to Site Feedback