International Commercial Operators - feedback sought

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
WillP

International Commercial Operators - feedback sought

by WillP » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:22 am

Hi SPers,

I’m looking at a trip to a 7000m in either 2014 or 2015, and am interested in a couple that are scheduled by a few different operators. I’m after feedback based on experience (positive or negative, or both) people have had with the companies Jagged Globe and Field Touring Alpine. I’ve done my research, I know the basics, but I’m after the ‘real’ stories from people who’ve used their services, spent time with their staff, etc.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Buz Groshong

Re: International Commercial Operators - feedback sought

by Buz Groshong » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:00 pm

I ran into Jagged Globe at Cebollapampa, down in Peru. They were camped near me and my guide and were instructing their clients on crevasse rescue (a bit overkill for climbing Pisco). The leader seemed to have an attitude of superiority that wasn't really justified. Their camp included some unnecessarily bright lights, so I'm sure they looked after their clients well, although they certainly weren't minimum impact.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
WillP

WillP

by WillP » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:39 am

Thanks Buz. Did you happen to learn +/- would you care to reveal the leaders name?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:05 pm

I don't know her name. It is possible that the attitude was the result of a woman being in a male-dominated field; it is also possible that it was the result of her being British and my guide being Peruvian. I don't think I'd rule Jagged Globe out based on this one experience alone, but I would factor it in.

Return to General