How a Govt Shutdown would affect National Parks?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
lcarreau

Re: How a Govt Shutdown would affect National Parks?

by lcarreau » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:34 am

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

colinr

by colinr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:34 am

mrchad9 wrote:The BLM does it better, and really this is what the NPS ought to be doing.

This is a shot of the entrance to the camping area at Chimney Creek/Canebreak Road in the southern Sierra. Apparently there was no existing gate for the campground… normally the spot doesn’t even have a fee to camp there… just donations. Well an intrepid ranger took it upon themself to rope the place off with survey tape.

I see no reason to close the place at all. As I have told others, just walk out and leave the door open. But this is the next best thing. If folks don’t want to go in, they don’t have to. But if they do then there is nothing (well very little) to stop them.

Turns out there is a separate exit to the campground and you could drive in the wrong way without even disturbing the survey tape. Great way to have a campground all to yourself.

If the NPS would do this and stop standing behind gates waving around guns then maybe folks wouldn’t be lining up against them.

campground.jpg

sign.jpg

So did you take the southern route to the Eastside with Tioga Pass closed? I've been meaning to check that road and camping spot out some fall/winter/spring. Well, at least you and lcarreau seem to have found some silver linings.

Meanwhile, my folks are enjoying a multi-state trip and have skipped some planned NP visits, while altering activities at others that are less restricted. They had heard state and private funds were used to open the Grand Canyon, but upon arrival, found something amiss. Needless to say, they found the place less impressive than anticipated.

On the bright side, they are enjoying their decision to visit Vancouver Island, Canada after some time spent around Olympic NP. Maybe they'd be best off making their stay permanent. :wink:

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
artrock23, lcarreau

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:34 pm

SeanReedy wrote:So did you take the southern route to the Eastside with Tioga Pass closed? I've been meaning to check that road and camping spot out some fall/winter/spring.

I was so far south that taking the southern route was by far the faster drive in even with Tioga Pass closed. Took 178 in, then to Indian Wells for Owens Peak, went as far east as the Trona Pinnacles, then some OHV stuff on Mesquite Canyon and the Bonanza Trail. Never really went north of the southern end of the Sierra.

You can camp pretty much anywhere, and very few people out and about except for the occasional hunter.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:20 am

SeanReedy wrote: Meanwhile, my folks are enjoying a multi-state trip and have skipped some planned NP visits, while altering activities at others that are less restricted. They had heard state and private funds were used to open the Grand Canyon, but upon arrival, found something amiss. Needless to say, they found the place less impressive than anticipated.

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
colinr, seano

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Time to go hit up one of these parks before the snow comes in!

Looks the the websites are up and running, except getting some errors on some of the SEKI pages. Might have been simpler to leave the thing running when they walked out the door.

Well we are going in anyway.

silversummit

by silversummit » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah! We get to hike in GSMNP! The only bright spot in a rotten day at work!!! :roll:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:15 am

Ok this is just too much. We went to Sequoia NP this weekend and though the park had opened up they hadn't gotten to all the facilities yet. Really closing every little thing like this seems beyond petty to me. What's the annual budget for operating this thing?

image.jpg
Boot Scraper
image.jpg (755.16 KiB) Viewed 2865 times

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:56 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They're still trying to make up for the $50,000-dollar toilet seat ...

Previous

Return to General