Mountains that are hikeable this weekend?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
eric.fides

Mountains that are hikeable this weekend?

by eric.fides » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Anyone have suggestions for any trails/ routes that are not covered with snow? (meaning impossible to hike without crampons and ice pick)

I was planning to hike Mt Dana this weekend but it looks like winter is underway there? (If this is not the case please let me know!)

I'm really bummed that I couldn't hike up a 10,000+ before the winter season hits... Any suggestions would be appreciated

no avatar
powderjunkie

Re: Mountains that are hikeable this weekend?

by powderjunkie » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:03 pm

i bet lassen is dry

south facing slopes of pyramid and tallac may be fine too.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 pm

eric,
Some easy, fun and scenic-view hiking peaks near your neck of the woods..
Berryessa Peak
http://www.summitpost.org/berryessa-peak/766290

Fiske
http://yolohiker.org/trails/knoxville/blue_s/index.html

Signal Peak
http://www.summitpost.org/signal-peak/153659

Mount Knocti
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-konocti/150835

Be well,
JM

eric.fides

by eric.fides » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Thank you both! Might just go for Tallac but was really looking forward to Dana. Anyone know the current conditions?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:35 pm

powderjunkie wrote:i bet lassen is dry

south facing slopes of pyramid and tallac may be fine too.

I checked the website on Saturday since I was thinking of heading there next weekend, and learned that the Lassen Summit trail is open to the summit and will remain so until snow closure. The trail has been undergoing construction for some time now and has been closed to hiking except for a few weekends, and when snow covered in winter (which of course requires snow climbing gear, which you wanted to avoid). I believe it will be closed again when snow clears and trail work resumes. This is a window for you to climb Lassen that may not reopen for some time.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Just about everything is clear up here in the Shasta area right now. Mount Eddy is clear and all the hiking trails on Mount Shasta are snow free. I think they closed the road to the Old Ski Bowl so the trails setting out from there are harder to get to but everything else is good to go. The loop from Horse Camp to Green Butte and down Green Butte Ridge is a great route this time of year.

Deb

by Deb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 pm

There are plenty of trails on the east side that are not "winterized" yet! You'll run into dirt, mud, frozen snow and ice but definitely a lot of doable options right now where you can get over 10K'.

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
eric.fides

Matthew Holliman

by Matthew Holliman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:57 am

Most of the southern aspects on peaks in that area are dry. Andrea Lawrence had only patchy snow yesterday, and Koip/Kuna/Parker etc. all looked clear when viewed from White Wing Mountain too. (Approaching from the north would be a different story, of course).

no avatar
schaffner

by schaffner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:01 am

We just hiked Langley, there is no snow there currently.

eric.fides

by eric.fides » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:Just about everything is clear up here in the Shasta area right now. Mount Eddy is clear and all the hiking trails on Mount Shasta are snow free. I think they closed the road to the Old Ski Bowl so the trails setting out from there are harder to get to but everything else is good to go. The loop from Horse Camp to Green Butte and down Green Butte Ridge is a great route this time of year.

Is there a guide to hiking up shasta when its snow free? I had always assumed that snow was at the peak year round? Would you have a guide to the horse camp to green butte?
Last edited by eric.fides on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:50 pm

eric.fides wrote:
Bubba Suess wrote:Just about everything is clear up here in the Shasta area right now. Mount Eddy is clear and all the hiking trails on Mount Shasta are snow free. I think they closed the road to the Old Ski Bowl so the trails setting out from there are harder to get to but everything else is good to go. The loop from Horse Camp to Green Butte and down Green Butte Ridge is a great route this time of year.

Is there a guide to hiking up shasta when its snow free? I had always assumed that snow was at the peak year round? Would you have a guide to the horse camp to green butte?

There are permanent snowfields and the obvious glaciers, so yes, the snow is there year-round. However, when the snow is largely melted off, the Clear Creek Route is basically a difficult hike with nothing technical required.

As far as the Horse Camp-Green Butte Loop, you can find more info here, here and here. If you want even more specific beta, shoot me an email and I will fill in the gaps.

The following user would like to thank Bubba Suess for this post
eric.fides

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Green Butte is a great hike on Shasta when snow free. The resouces Bubba has are excellent and should cover you.

Heck, you can even go all the way to the summit from there if you get a really early start and are very comfortable on class 3. I did Sargents ridge last November and found the snow free conditions to be a non issue. Good to have a chute in Old Ski Bowl to boot ski down on though.

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Dana/North Peak/Conness are all easily accessed right now (12Nov) - just a few inches of snow with the occasional deeper drift in pockets.

Return to California