Matterhorn Circuit

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
sm176811

Matterhorn Circuit

by sm176811 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:28 am

Hi

Greetings! We are thinking of doing the Tour of Matterhorn (Matterhorn Circuit) in end May/early June and had the following questions:

:?: - Is that too early for the hike? Will there be a lot of snow and will the trails be open?
:?: - I have basic mountaineering experience, but wanted a guide for the glacier traverse (Upper Arrola Glacier and Testa Gregia areas); Can we arrange for the guides after arriving at Arrola and Breuil Cervinia?

Regards and Thanks in advance!

John
:geek: :geek: :geek:

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: Matterhorn Circuit

by Flachlandtiroler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:54 pm

May into June is far too early, unless you want to go by ski (which would be fine :wink: ).

If in summer, I would allow some spare days to arrange guide (or book in advance and hope for fine weather).
Generally the glacier traverse with fine conditions can be done unguided, but it is more alpine than the walkers haute route.

sm176811

Re: Matterhorn Circuit

by sm176811 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks Flachlantiroler.

That's what I feared; unfortunately, that's the latest I can fly as my wife has a reunion in Paris and we are trying to combine it with that.

I guess will have to look fora different hike.

I am quite comfortable with alpine, but not sure whether my wife will be keen.

Return to Europe