how does one get into alpine climbing and mountaineering?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Marek Sapkovski

how does one get into alpine climbing and mountaineering?

by Marek Sapkovski » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:26 pm

How does one find partners or clubs for climbing mountains or alpine rock? I have recently moved to work in the US/New York City and it seems like mobody is doing that stuff here. Ideally I'd like to start from something simpler, like one of the 49 peaks in Adirondacks (there are some that include simple technical ice, if i remember correctly). While I've never done proper "walk-up" mountaineering, I have a fair amount of rock climbing experience (I redpointed 8a sport + 5.12s trad and feel fairly comfortable on long rock routes). What are my options?

Ben Beckerich

Re: how does one get into alpine climbing and mountaineering

by Ben Beckerich » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:18 pm

How much money do you have and how flexible is your schedule? You could just start looking for partners on the boards, be up front about your experience level in the alpine, and be prepared to fly out to the Cascades with one or two days notice

Being in really, really good physical condition would be a fantastic place to start, if you're not already there. Super strong legs will keep your partner from having to stop and wait for you all the time.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

no avatar
Marek Sapkovski

by Marek Sapkovski » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:23 am

Ben Beckerich wrote:How much money do you have and how flexible is your schedule? You could just start looking for partners on the boards, be up front about your experience level in the alpine, and be prepared to fly out to the Cascades with one or two days notice

Money is plentiful within reason. Time is less so, unfortunately. My primary interest is finding a partner for alpine rock and ice/mixed, which there is a fair amount of on the East Coast I think.

Ben Beckerich wrote: Being in really, really good physical condition would be a fantastic place to start, if you're not already there. Super strong legs will keep your partner from having to stop and wait for you all the time.

I do a fair amount of running+cross-training and, as I said, I am an OK rock climber. Not sure what constitutes "good", though - I am no cross-fit champion if that's what it takes.

no avatar
CarpeDuctum

by CarpeDuctum » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:51 am

I would suggest searching out Alpine or Mountaineering groups in your area. Many have groups listed on http://www.meetup.com and they hold regular climbs, training, road trips to peaks, etc.

Return to General