Personality Traits in Rock Climbers

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Fennerz92

Personality Traits in Rock Climbers

by Fennerz92 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi, I am a student studying BSc Sport and Exercise Science. And am researching sensation personality traits in rock climbers. All that you need to do if you wish to participant is follow the link below and answer 40 multiple choice questions.

Anyone aged 18+ is welcome to take part, but please ensure that you read the first paragraph and understand it as this acts as your consent form for the study

Thank you to however decides to take part, and please try and answer all the questions :)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EgGWFyxLD1ZMOp7VF5mTSugxqrAUb07IZK-US2_JH_s/viewform

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Personality Traits in Rock Climbers

by Bob Burd » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:31 pm

Some of the questions really need better phrasing. For example, while I don't think sailing a small, seaworthy craft for long distances is foolhardy, neither would I want to subject myself to such cramped quarters for any length of time. Choosing the least dislike among the two choices doesn't really make sense and could lead to false conclusions. Best of luck with your studies, though!

no avatar
Fennerz92

by Fennerz92 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Thank you for the feedback bob.
I've seen the problems with the questionnaire, and as part of the final study i will be looking to see if there are any better measures (as this questionnaire was made originally in the 1940's) so needs re-wording/modernising (i think that's a word).

But keep the coming guys I still need more people :D

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Bob Burd wrote:Some of the questions really need better phrasing. For example, while I don't think sailing a small, seaworthy craft for long distances is foolhardy, neither would I want to subject myself to such cramped quarters for any length of time. Choosing the least dislike among the two choices doesn't really make sense and could lead to false conclusions. Best of luck with your studies, though!

I felt that way as well. Many questions presented a false choice.

Anyway, I hope my participation helps.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:49 pm

I started looking at it but, for many questions, neither answer is a valid choice.

reboyles

by reboyles » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:06 am

I answered all 40 questions but agree, they could have been more concise. For instance, I don't wish to be a mountain climber, I am one. The same goes for several of the other questions. Pilot, yes. Surfboard, yes. High dive, yes. Sailing, yes. Skiing, yes and so on. As a former technical analyst I would question the validity of the results or conclusions from this study.

Bob

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:34 pm

The internet... giving new credence to self-selected surveys. Competition for Cosmo.

Return to General