Pallavicinirinne Grossglockner

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
czerwiec

Pallavicinirinne Grossglockner

by czerwiec » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:01 pm

Hello. I have a question according Pallavicinirinne on the north face of Grossglockner. The starting point is Franz Josefs Haus, but to get there I have to take Hochalpenstrasse which is closed till the beginning of may. I would like to ascent Grossglockner at the end of April. Is there any other way to get to Franz Josefs Haus?

mvs

Re: Pallavicinirinne Grossglockner

by mvs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:10 am

Ski tour from Heilenblut, sleep at the Franz Josefs Haus parking garage the first night, and the biwak the 2nd night, ski back to town on summit day?

You could approach from the west through the Obere Ödenwinkelscharte, intending to reach the biwak that night, but for the trip home that seems difficult.

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
czerwiec

no avatar
czerwiec

by czerwiec » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Ok, thank You. So I can see that in April it can be quite difficult to get there without skis. And do You know mabye the usual conditions on Pallavicirinne at the end of may? Isn't it too late do climb it?

selinunte01

by selinunte01 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 am

End of may should be o.k. for Pallavicinirinne - most ice and glacier routes in the Eastern Alps get nastier during june / july. But you should check the actual conditions when arriving at the village of Heiligenblut.
Please take into account that Glocknerbiwak might be already very crowded end of May. If I´m right there are only 6 sleeping places in the bivvy. And if I remember correctly Franz Josef Haus actually does not offer overnight stays due to a fire some years ago.

The following user would like to thank selinunte01 for this post
czerwiec

no avatar
czerwiec

by czerwiec » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Thank You all for all information.

Return to Europe