Mt. Grant (Nevada) opportunity

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
jfrishmanIII

Mt. Grant (Nevada) opportunity

by jfrishmanIII » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:03 am

September 13th, 2014: the military's opening Mt. Grant for a 9-11 memorial challenge. Not sure I can make it, but county highpointers, prominence baggers and general fans of Nevada mountains should take note:
www.911challenge.org

The following user would like to thank jfrishmanIII for this post
Jesus Malverde

brichardsson

Re: Mt. Grant (Nevada) opportunity

by brichardsson » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:07 am

jfrishmanIII wrote:September 13th, 2014: the military's opening Mt. Grant for a 9-11 memorial challenge. Not sure I can make it, but county highpointers, prominence baggers and general fans of Nevada mountains should take note:
www.911challenge.org

for those who can't make it this year, they do this every year on the first saturday after 9/11.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

Jesus Malverde

Re: Mt. Grant (Nevada) opportunity

by Jesus Malverde » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:21 pm

jfrishmanIII,
thanks for posting. Hey if anyone runs this and would like to share their time, please post here or over at http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/.

In 2012 if I recall correctly my time was about ~4:20 to the "finish line" (parking area below the summit). I think there was a guy (http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=267968) from Davis, California who beat me by about 15-20 minutes (I knew there was something suspicious about that AdventureCORPS t-shirt he was wearing :) )
I think Bob Burd said he did it in 4.5 hours. I'm thinking he must have been running it, either that or that was some SUPER fast speed hiking. hah!

Anyways, it would be nice to see a motivated participant do a sub 4-hours and see the times keep dropping.
The thing is a great run and I'm surprised more dirt runners haven't been attracted to this event (16 miles, 7K elevation rise with really no downhill, not to mention the views, people, fellowship, remembrance/cause)..

Bibamus, moriendum est..
JM

The following user would like to thank Jesus Malverde for this post
jfrishmanIII

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)