Washakie Wilderness pass between Green and Emerold Lakes

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
lrschmidt

Washakie Wilderness pass between Green and Emerold Lakes

by lrschmidt » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:12 am

Does anyone know if its possible to hike from Green Lake in the Washakie Wilderness to Emerold Lake on the other side of the ridge. I'm looking at a saddle between peaks 12,025 and 11,656. According to the guidebook its possible to do this scramble going east to west. But it looks steep and going west to east might be harder because you would be descending the hardest part of the route rather the ascending.

For background I'm planning to do this as part of a longer hiking/packrafting trip and I'd like to float part of the Greybull. That is way I need to go that particular direction. Any idea if this route is doable? If not are there any alternatives to hiking all the way down to the Double Cabin Trailhead.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Washakie Wilderness pass between Green and Emerold Lakes

by Bob Sihler » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:54 am

"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

lrschmidt

by lrschmidt » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:40 am

Thanks a lot Bob, just to clarify I'll be carrying a pack with a raft and food (and I'm not a super climber) so I might not be comfortable everything you do. That picture (#20) looking down from Peak 12,025 makes the decent to Emerald Lake look way steeper then I'd be comfortable descending. Am I missing something or is it that steep? BTW great trip report.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Keep in mind that the descent would be from the pass, shaving off about 500'. It was definitely steep, and snow covered it when I was there so I couldn't see what the use trail looked like, but I think you'd be fine with some sturdy trekking poles.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)