GPX track store?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
tdkehoe

GPX track store?

by tdkehoe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:21 pm

Does anyone want to help me set up a website to buy and sell GPX tracks? It would be like Apple's App Store. For $1-5 you can download an adventure. $1 gets you someone's GPS dump, like you see on various websites now. The price goes up if it's edited and cleaned up (using Garmin BaseCamp), has campsites and stream crossings waypointed, includes pictures, has a text narrative, etc.

My backpacking partner Heather and I have been frustrated by 1950s maps showing trails a half-mile from where they are, and not showing newer trails. I fell off a cliff snowshoeing where the GPS said the trail was.

I can imagine college students spending their summers mapping adventures, then earning income from the GPX store. Students could get Kickstarter funding to map a national park or wilderness area.

Garmin BaseCamp has a feature "Find > Find Activities on Garmin Connect" but the quality of the shared tracks is poor and the feature works poorly. Strava and MapMyFitness have GPX tracks but they're not cleaned up, waypointed, or presented in a way to engage someone's interest.

SummitPost and 14ers.com have some GPX tracks with narratives and pictures but they're hard to find.

Setting up the website would be simple. On my company's website I use Premise, a WordPress plugin for selling digital downloads such as e-books. I could set up a GPX store website in a weekend.

A web designer (not me!) could make the store visually stunning, as these sports produce extraordinary photos. I can imagine photographers posting GPX tracks that take you to hidden scenic places.

I need one or two partners with contacts in the outdoor gear industry. We could partner with outdoor equipment companies such as REI for promotion, e.g., "REI members get $10 of GPX downloads free." REI gets something to give its members that costs REI nothing, and the GPX store gets promotion to REI members.

This isn’t a startup to get rich or disrupt anything. I just want to make it easier to find better information about routes.

Return to Site Feedback