North Cascades climbs in September

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
ExcitableBoy

Re: North Cascades climbs in September

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:25 pm

jmeizis, did you climb NF Shuksan in mid September 2013? I think I may have bumped into you. You came out to get trainfor the AMGA exam and said it was the hardest climb you had done.

FYI, NF Shuksan is famous for its bush whack. I climbed it with Colin Haley and another friend who is a wily old Cascades hard man and we managed to make a relatively easy approach. There are many good climbs that do not involve bush whacking, TFT included. All of the climbs I mentioned in my posts above have easy approaches by Cascades standards with minimal bushwhacking (except NF Shuksan, which is still not bad).

jmeizis

by jmeizis » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:25 pm

It might of been, there were a lot of us out there. I don't know about technically difficulty, but it was definitely the biggest beating I've taken on any peak (still to this date). 4 hours to go a mile through that brush. I've since learned the easier way to go, that also doesn't require a car shuttle!

In addition to not knowing the right way through the bushwhack (don't follow Beckey) we also didn't know about all the mis-labelings on the map. It was real fun to climb most of the way down the White Salmon, then back up, then down, and up to the real Fisher Chimney's. You weren't one of the friends of Pete from AAI that gave us a ride back to the lodge?

Yeah, Boston Basin is significantly nicer than most of the rest of the Cascades. I think most of the bushwhacking is more bark than bite but if you don't catch the right path through the brush it can be somewhat brutal.

no avatar
adamas_it

by adamas_it » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:42 pm

Thank you very much jmeizis.

I'll be in WA from the 10th to the 20th/21st September. Not knowing of the area, I have no idea if there is enough time to visit also other mountain ranges than the North Cascades, but suggestions are most welcome.

I am more interested in mountaineering routes rather than pure rock climbing, but also in easier peaks that can be climbed solo (if there are...), without any pitch climbing or extensive travel through crevassed glaciers.

As you mentioned I was also looking for a guide. Shuksan via Fischer Chimney and West ridge of Eldorado are actually on the top of my list. So you would be available in the North Cascades after the 18th September?

jmeizis wrote:Yeah, the Cascades are pretty rugged. They're very steep and there are many climbs that can involve a great bushwhack. So coming from the Alps you may be somewhat frustrated by the amount of hiking and off trail hiking just to get to some of the climbs.

Despite this there is a lot of good stuff that can be done in September because of the stable weather. West Arete of Eldorado is a good alternative to the Torment-Forbidden traverse if you want to get more rock in and it's about 5a. East Ridge is what I would consider a good example of a PD- route. There is quite a bit of stuff in the Southern pickets that can be fun if you're prepared for some brush. Things like McMillan Spire and Inspiration have some good day routes and some long challenging north facing routes in that 5b/c range. I will be guiding someone from Scotland out there in July and should have some pictures. I've climbed the N. Face of Shuksan in September and it's certainly more difficult but not impossible (actually the hardest part was the bushwhack) but that's a more AD/AD+ route I would think. I imagine the same could be said about the TFT in terms of getting on the route itself although it's easier earlier on in the season. Depending on how much time you have and how rowdy you want to get something like Mount Fury or Mount Challenger are pretty remote and challenging.

Not to self promote but since you asked I guide in Colorado but also in the Cascades, http://www.coclimbing.com. As a little added incentive, every time I go out to the Cascades in September it's dry and awesome. Then when I leave it rains for a week straight. So in addition to my guiding I may be a good weather charm, wouldn't make any guarantees though :-) I'll actually be out there from the 9th-18th for an advanced guiding course and would be psyched to get some climbing in before or after.

Depending on what you're into I could make some more relevant suggestions. Most of my knowledge is of things actually in the North Cascades National Park which is where I have permits. That's where most of the best climbing is though in my opinion. A lot of the volcanoes are pretty sloggy (most of the challenging routes are considered "out" by September). The Pickets and Enchantments are the best in my opinion but outside of the volcanoes the rock is fairly decent wherever you go. Most of the challenge with the glaciers is finding a route thru them and onto rock that late in the season. Still lots of fun stuff out there.

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)