Salewa Repace or Trango S Evo

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Michael Tilden

Salewa Repace or Trango S Evo

by Michael Tilden » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:35 pm

Hey guys, I'm just a young punk getting into the sport. And it's time for me to grow up and get some big boy boots. I've summited a fair bit in the Tetons and Wasatch, and i've done a small amount of ice climbing.

I am in between the Trango S EVO and Salewa Repace. Both are comfortable in different ways. Salewa have more flex and seem to be more walk-able. The Trangos are more clunky but light and stable.

I'm looking for a boot for 3 season work in the various-Teton like terrain, good for approach, and decent at light ice climbing. Need some advice!

Also, will the Trangos stiffness soften up a bit once broken in?

All the best,
Michael

WyomingSummits

Re: Salewa Repace or Trango S Evo

by WyomingSummits » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:08 pm

The Rapace and the Salewa Ravens are awesome. I also own the Salewa Alp Trainers. All of them are awesome on the approach. If you want light weight, stiffness for ice, and walkability.....the Salewa Ravens are awesome. I do 20 mile day trips in them and have climbed up to 5.4 as well. Very versatile boot for the Tetons. The Ravens are not insulated.

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
Michael Tilden

Andrew Rankine

by Andrew Rankine » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:25 pm

The Rapace is an awesome boot, as are the Ravens and Trango S Evos. The Rapace is not very stiff, really more of a hiking boot that one could put crampons on if necessary. I would not want to use it for ice climbing.

The Raven and Trangos are more of a similar boot and would be better suited to ice climbing, but still not terrible for hiking. I did a couple 20 mile days in my Ravens. I don't know if the boots will become more flexible, but I perceived them as being more flexible over time-- that may be because I adapted my stride a little over time to hike in them.

The following user would like to thank Andrew Rankine for this post
Michael Tilden

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:39 pm

The Trango S upper softens a little but the sole rigidity doesn't change over time, at least as far as I've noticed. Have you considered the Scarpa Rebels? I bought a pair of Carbons off the remainder rack at REI and they are amazing boots - as comfortable and even lighter than Trango S. They have an unusual carbon fiber sole insert that makes them stiffer than the Trangos when you are standing on your toes on a thin edge (or front pointing) but which is more flexible than the Trangos when walking. Rebel Carbons are discontinued and may be hard to find but the Rebel Pro which are insulated are still available.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
Michael Tilden

Michael Tilden

by Michael Tilden » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:46 am

Thanks i'm looking into the Raven's and Scapas now (sounds so rad). It does sound like the Trango will work for my needs, and your help and boot suggestions are invaluable. More suggestions are welcome!

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:06 am

You get used to the rocker built into the Ravens. They stay very rigid but the rocker is curved enough to give you a very natural gait. I wouldnt get the Ravens if you have a wide foot. My 3rd year with the Ravens and they're still going strong......I won't buy another boot other than Salewas or Sportivas.....and the Salewas are more comfy! And for the record, if anyone is looking for a all around hiker with a semi rigid sole, the Salewa Alp trainers are awesome. They are a mountaineering/backpacking/approach boot hybrid. Hike great, stiff enough for crampons on low angle slopes, and they are soled with a very sticky rubber that wraps around the toes like a climbing shoe. Gore TeX with Salewas wire fitting system. Awesome boot on low to mid 5th class.

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
Michael Tilden

Return to Gear