Dressing for 6000+ Andes Climbs in May

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Jayman1982

Dressing for 6000+ Andes Climbs in May

by Jayman1982 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted some input regarding layering for climbs over 6000+ in the Bolivian Andes.

The wife and I are trying Huayna Potosi and Sajama this May and we are contemplating leaving our heavy down jackets behind and instead opting for extra layers (merino long sleeve base, fleece pullover, down filled sweater) under a gore shell.

We both tend to heat up well under exertion and the idea of keeping the jacket out of our backpacks for travelling into warmer climates later on in the trip is appealing.

Any thoughts/criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

Woodie Hopper

Re: Dressing for 6000+ Andes Climbs in May

by Woodie Hopper » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:56 pm

Sajama tends to be quite a bit colder and definitely windier than the Cordillera Real. I skipped the down parka for HP when I climbed it, but not for Sajama. A terrible storm crushed two of our tent poles the night of our summit bid. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did, but don't leave the down parka behind for Sajama (or others in the vicinity).

Woodie

no avatar
Jayman1982

by Jayman1982 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Woodie Hopper wrote:Sajama tends to be quite a bit colder and definitely windier than the Cordillera Real. I skipped the down parka for HP when I climbed it, but not for Sajama. A terrible storm crushed two of our tent poles the night of our summit bid. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did, but don't leave the down parka behind for Sajama (or others in the vicinity).

Woodie

Cheers Woodie! That's the kind of info I'm looking for. What time of year was your climb?

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:30 pm

May, same as you. I've climbed in Bolivia twice for a total of 4 weeks, mostly in the Cordillera Real with great weather. Early season has been great to me. I'll likely be back again in a few years to try Sajama again and try some other peaks.

Good luck!

Woodie

Return to Gear