New Black Diamond Packs - Epic 35?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Damien Gildea

New Black Diamond Packs - Epic 35?

by Damien Gildea » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:47 am

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... ic-35-pack

Just got one of these, bought online. Loaded it up with about 13kg / 28lbs. The swivelling lumbar pad just seems ridiculously uncomfortable, like having a rock stuck behind your back. It does make the load sit up on your hips very well, and it does swivel, it's just really uncomfortable and bending over as if to say, climb, makes it worse. I wore it for a short while to see if I could just get used to something new and unusual, but no. The rest of the pack is quite good, nothing spectacular, but ruined by this intrusive pad.

Anyone else tried these?

radson

Re: New Black Diamond Packs - Epic 35?

by radson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 am

not yet, but i was considering ordering a mission 75 to try out...seems like no reviews out there..

Luc

by Luc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:34 pm

I'd be afraid of the lid flopping around on the Epic 35...
I'd think pack makers would have figured out that even on small packs the top lid moves around a lot when the bag isn't full.
In this case, you can't remove the lid to pack it in nor can you compress it using a bungee cord (no tabs to add one on top). The only option is to fold it inside the compartment...

I haven't tried the pack so this is only an observation.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Yeh, the lid is not great but I find it OK, better than some. I used to always take the lid off my packs but not so much anymore, so I'm happy to have them fixed, at least on the sub-50l sizes.

I should also note that in the Large size, the Epic 35 looks more like 42l or so. It's big. It's meant to be 37l but is much bigger than other 35/37l packs I have. This is OK by me, so long as you don't want a smaller pack.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:35 am

Damien Gildea wrote: It's meant to be 37l but is much bigger than other 35/37l packs I have.

Just did a real-world comparison with a 16kg / 35lb load of climbing-related gear.

The load that completely fills the BD Epic 35 also completely fills the main compartment on a Millet ProLite 45 and a CiloGear 45 Worksack. The latter two have about extra 5-10l of extension available on top of that, which the BD does not have, but it shows the BD 35 is probably at least 42l.

mikus

by mikus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:Just got one of these, bought online. Loaded it up with about 13kg / 28lbs. The swivelling lumbar pad just seems ridiculously uncomfortable, like having a rock stuck behind your back. It does make the load sit up on your hips very well, and it does swivel, it's just really uncomfortable and bending over as if to say, climb, makes it worse.

I totally agree. Although I have got an Axis 33 with similar system. This backpack has nice features, but in terms of the hip-belt comfort it's absolutely ridiculous. I've used many, and ex. Deuter guide irritated me always a bit, but what BD did is absolutely unbearable. Don't they really test it? I am really ashamed I have actually did notice it while buying.

Besides this, its hard to use in gloves, and its super heigh, too long to look up wearing a helmet. The new version seems to be better, though

Return to Gear