Taking mountaineering gear internationally

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
pjc30943

Taking mountaineering gear internationally

by pjc30943 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:56 am

Taking mountaineering / trad gear internationally on flights...what's the best way?
I know there have been many conversations on this on the forums, but for some reason a search isn't bringing any up...
What's a safe logistical breakdown that will remove the most risk of loosing so much expensive gear -- or worse, having it confiscated or stolen en-route?

adventurer

Re: Taking mountaineering gear internationally

by adventurer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:24 am

Over the years, I've taken my gear on a number of international flights and never had a problem just stuffing everything in one large duffle bag. It's a good idea to use a duffle that does not attract unwanted attention. I would advise avoiding bright colors or anything that looks expensive. I just use a black NF duffle. I covered the contrasting white NF logo with duct tape so the bag appears to be patched. I have a friend who uses an old canvass Army duffle. I would recommend avoiding any US flag decals or putting anything on the outside of the bag that makes it obvious that the bag belong to an American. In the third world, any American is thought to be wealthy.

Any flight to/from third world countries in Asia, Africa, or South America is full of people carrying all sorts of large bags so a low key duffle won't stand out.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

The following user would like to thank adventurer for this post
pjc30943

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:44 pm

I agree with adventurer, use a non-descript duffle. The army/navy surplus canvas duffles are cheap, utilitarian, and don't scream 'steal me' like the brightly colored NF bags. One other thought, carrying on bags has become very limited by size and type of items allowed. Instead of thinking of terms of expense in replacing items, think in terms of difficulty of replacing items. Ropes, hardware, ice tools, etc. may be expensive, but it is all pretty generic. Loose your boots and you may have a lot of problems finding the brand, model, and size that you like, and nothing can ruin a trip faster than bad boots. Think about wearing or carrying your boots and other hard to replace items.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Jesus Malverde, pjc30943

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Thanks for the tips so far, that is useful. What about carrying on items, what would work? Eg are racks of cams allowed? IF allowed to purchase an additional carryong, perhaps it's worth paying for two carryons, one of them having boots (as you wisely pointed out) and other things.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:53 pm

pjc30943 wrote:What about carrying on items, what would work? .

pj,
thinking out loud...
These probably wouldn't work:
Ixnay on the ice tools/axe
TSA might see crampons/snow pickets/shovel,trekking poles/ice screws/hooks/pitons as a possible weapon too.
Last edited by Jesus Malverde on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Here's a link to the TSA website which addresses prohibited items.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information ... ited-items

If you still have questions about particular items, I'd recommend that you contact the TSA.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

Tonka

by Tonka » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:16 pm

What...no hand grenades or blasting caps?
adventurer wrote:Here's a link to the TSA website which addresses prohibited items.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information ... ited-items

Explosive Materials Carry-on? Checked?
Blasting Caps NO NO
Dynamite NO NO
Fireworks NO NO
Flares (in any form) NO NO
Hand Grenades NO NO
Plastic Explosives NO NO

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:24 pm

I don't put my big and heavy boots inside my carry-on, I use the shoe laces to tie them to the outside and walk on trainers or sandals at the airport. Whenever I come to a checkpoint where someone says that my carry-on is too heavy or too bulky, I just switch my trainers for my boots and I'm allowed through. Sometimes that means I must board while wearing them, but I'll switch right after. On the plane, nobody ever questioned me about having a pair of boots in addition to the one allowed piece of carry-on.

Some other stuff that I like to keep with me are my down jacket, my inflatable and my sleeping bag. Not because it's expensive (though it isn't exactly cheap), but because it's high quality gear and even if it would be possible to replace it locally, it would take a lot of time. If my carry-on is already full, I'll have the jacket strapped to the outside (and wear it temporarily, just as my boots).

I never took the chance of carrying racks, cams or even carabiners, because some official might get the idea that it could be used to club someone on the head, and confiscate it.

As check-in luggage, for long trips I have a nondescript big old bag. Inside goes my big big backpack and some other stuff. My ice tools, crampons and other hardware are in the backpack. The X-ray machines can obviously detect all that, but from the outside it doesn't look expensive and not worth stealing.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
Jesus Malverde, pjc30943

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:31 pm

Tonka wrote:What...no hand grenades or blasting caps?

Only if you are Sylvester Stallone (and prefer your Alpine Style in lyrca).

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:36 am

Yury wrote:, call them crutches or canes and you will be fine. :)

Another Airport tip...
Go from intrepid explorer to perceived invalid with just a quick add-on..
http://shop.leki.com/en/product.php?product_id=51291
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/tre ... 0ALL1.html

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:00 am

Save your carry-on for small valuables, cameras and things irreplaceable, and things you might need when the plane gets diverted to Azerbaijan for the night. I could not fit my mountain boots in my carry-on, though sometimes I have worn them. I've never known it possible to buy extra carry-on capacity, other than travelling Business Class or First.

Note that, officially at least, you can only carry a minimum of Li-ion batteries in your luggage and particularly in carry-on. Expeditions may easily require six or eight different Li batteries so spread them out through your luggage.

To airport security, cams look dangerous, carabiners could be knuckle-dusters, nuts are used to knock people out and ropes are to tie people up. Nut keys look like knives.

Knives, are knives, and should be hidden deep in your checked baggage so there is no way they end up in your carry-on, even with last-minute re-packing. Forks are also knives.

Ice axes are for maniac serial killers or Alien v Predator re-enactments and always go deep in your checked luggage, rubber on the tips, each end, so they don't puncture your sleeping bag/down jacket/Thermarest/blow-up girlfriend.

To airport security, most stoves look like bombs, because they kind of are. Don't even try to take gas canisters or fuel on board, in any way. MSR/Primus bottles look bad enough and may get confiscated just for the hell of it. Wash them out so they have no fuel residue or smell. Put them in a separate part of your duffel, or in another duffel entirely. Leaving your stove all hooked up is asking for it to be confiscated. Most of the time, most people get their stoves through OK. Occasionally not.

Gatorade is obviously cocaine and is best not in your carry-on, which is more likely to be searched than your checked luggage. Many airlines still have limits on liquids allowed in carry-on so don't overdo it with the gels or similar.

Trekking poles and snowstakes go along the bottom sides of your duffel to give it some rigidity and protect the contents, as does the foam mat folded and lining the inside bottom. Soft things on top to cushion the inside contents from 400lbs of other big heavy things the baggage-handlers will throw on top of it. In the rain.

Bright shiny new 'expedition' duffels stand out in a 3rd world carpark and invite thieves. Use drab older ones, which may also be lighter and save you a kg or two. Just make sure they can handle being strapped super-tight to a donkey for three days.

If you're checking a backpack, put it in a sack and tie it up securely or buy one of those zippered sacs meant for the purpose. Pack straps caught in baggage conveyor belts are removed with a knife.

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
pjc30943

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:02 am

These are great points, thanks everyone for the many ideas.
What about taking foods/snacks? Say i have favorite snacks for the mountains and am not sure if i could find something similar over there, have any of you had problems bringing a stash of packaged snacks across international borders? eg to europe.
These wouldn't be fresh foods, but things like gu, certain freeze dried meals and energy bars, etc

EDIT: Also, why a duffel instead of say a normal luggage suitcase as the shell? Easier to move around the airports.

Return to Gear