Four-Pass Loop in late August?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mjmaher12

Four-Pass Loop in late August?

by mjmaher12 » Mon May 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Was planning on hitting up four pass loop this summer with some friends but it seems the only time we can all meet up is mid to late August. Would it be wise to try and hike this trail around this time (22-25th)?

Thanks...

Matt

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Four-Pass Loop in late August?

by Scott » Mon May 11, 2015 7:06 pm

The mosquitoes and snow will be gone, so it would be a good time to plan a trip. Of course bad weather and thunderstorms can happen at any time in the area.

The only drawback to that time of year, is that most of the wildflowers will likely be gone since it's been a dry year.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
mjmaher12

no avatar
mjmaher12

by mjmaher12 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:16 pm

So I shouldn't be worried about the temperature getting too low? That was my only real concern with going this late in the year.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon May 11, 2015 7:37 pm

So I shouldn't be worried about the temperature getting too low?

What is too low?

July and August are the warmest months high in the mountains. It can snow year round, but if you look at the weather data, the latter part of August is only very slightly cooler than it is in the hottest part of summer. Here is the data for the Independence Pass 5SW weather station, which is at similar elevations as much of the Four Pass loop. Click on the left hand 30 year average (it won't link directly) "1971 - 2000 Daily Tabular Data":

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co4270

The difference between August 22 and July 15 is 66F/34F (August 22) vs. 69F/35F (July 15). That really isn't much of a difference and variations from day to day are greater than that.

As far as being too cold, a lot of us camp year round in the region.

no avatar
mjmaher12

by mjmaher12 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:44 pm

I guess I should have specified what 'too low' is, but looking at the link you provided I am not worried at all. I hiked Conundrum last year in late July and the weather was perfect.. a little hail, but nothing crazy. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some drastic drop in temperature from late July to late August. Obviously I'll be prepared just in case the temp does decide to drop, but hopefully it doesn't.

Thanks for your help, Scott. Good info.

Return to Colorado