Partner for ski descent, north face of Shastina

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ttriche

Partner for ski descent, north face of Shastina

by ttriche » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Tahoe from the 7th to the 12th and plan to continue north to Shasta on the evening of the 12th. Don't really need to be back in SoCal until the 16th.

The past few times I skied Shasta, it was from the main summit (via Avy Gulch, then the West Face, then Hotlum-Wintun) so it would be cool to ski something new. The guys at the Fifth Season suggested the north face of Shastina due to its pitch, snow coverage, and somewhat remote location (although another possibility would be to do the usual West Face approach, camp at Hidden Valley, get an early start, descend, come back up the Whitney glacier, grab camping stuff and ski back out). A "day trip" to Shastina would be fine though.

I am not opposed to doing one of the usual routes up Shasta, but if anyone is interested in a ski descent of Shastina, please get in touch with me. I can also provide transportation from Tahoe or places along the way from Tahoe to Shasta if you happen to live there.

This has been a miserable ski season, so I'm really looking forward to Shasta. Hope some of you are, too!

Return to California