Seven Gables - East Face

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
craig512

Seven Gables - East Face

by craig512 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:45 am

Has anybody on here climbed this route (the Steve and Jani Roper version). I'm looking through Secor's book and the picture doesn't help too much. I'm heading over this way in a week or so and was wondering if anybody had a better picture of the route...or could make one real quick. The "northern part" of the East Face if pretty vague...

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Seven Gables - East Face

by Bob Burd » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Wish I had a better picture to share, but from what I recall the East Face was a frightening prospect from the summit. Roper says the actual East Face hadn't yet been climbed (maybe still hasn't), but their route was on the north side of the East Face (you can get the feeling for it in Secor's picture where it looks to climb out onto the NE Face after starting up the East Face). I've been on a few Roper class 4 routes and they seem to be "sandbagged" more than your usual old school Sierra class 4. I put it in quotes because I know that he had no intention of sandbagging, that's just how they rated stuff back then. Roper was a helluva climber. Anyway, don't take this one lightly...

Return to California