Anybody done Jumbo in the Madison Range, Montana

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Bobber

Anybody done Jumbo in the Madison Range, Montana

by Bobber » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:05 pm

This mountain is above Lava Lake off of 191 going up to Big Sky. At 10,416' it's pretty high for around here. It's definitely a walkup but which way? I'm in Bozeman and nobody has even heard of it and there is no SP post and no trails shown. I'm going up tomorrow trying my best guess. I'm hoping it's not the bushwack from hell. I also posted a partner wanted in that forum. If I live I'll post about it.

Bobber

b.

Re: Anybody done Jumbo in the Madison Range, Montana

by b. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:11 am

Hey Bobber,

I've been up there from Lava Lake in the winter on Jumbo, but not summer. There are definitely some schwack opportunities from Lava Lake to Jumbo Lake. But I think there is a trail that gets you on the plateau from hellroaring creek. Even if there isn't a trail, I'd try that before trying to hike up from the Lava side. Good Luck, you're gonna get a sweet view from up there.

Bobber

by Bobber » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:39 am

Thanks B. I hiked it solo today using the ridge on the north side. I accessed the ridge below the lake between the 2 creeks on the LL trail because that's where it starts. There is a trail up there in spots. It was .......strenuous. I'll create a Jumbo page in a few.

Bobber

by Bobber » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:54 am

I put up a Jumbo page which can also be found in the Madison Range page. I also did Table Mtn. the other day which is close to Big J. I'll get a page on that soon.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)