Gannett Peak conditions report

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Bark Eater

Gannett Peak conditions report

by Bark Eater » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Some had asked for a Gannett Peak conditions report: Three of us attempted Gannett via Elkhart Park and Titcomb Basin from July 11-13. Jeremy summited, Nate and I did not. I attribute my lack of success to overestimation of fitness level and underestimation of difficulty. It would have been much more likely as a 4-5 day trip. There was a surprising amount of up and down the first 15 miles. Full pack combined with altitude on day 1 wiped me out for the summit day. Trails down low were very wet and muddy. Had to ford Little Seneca Lake due to high water level. Bonney Pass was half snow covered, half scree. Jeremy reported that the bergschrund was open but a 10-foot wide snow bridge remained. Snow was firm in the morning and sloppy in the afternoon. When the wind stopped the mosquitoes were hungry. Trails drying up on the way out. Had intermittent hail and a bit of a thunderstorm Saturday and Sunday. Not overly disappointed about not summiting as it was still a great first-time adventure in a beautiful place.

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
Bill Reed, flintstoner, Teresa Gergen, WyomingSummits

WyomingSummits

Re: Gannett Peak conditions report

by WyomingSummits » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:53 pm

It's not uncommon for people to overestimate their fitness level for the major western peaks....especially coming from lower altitude. The mountain won't go anywhere....it's a learning experience and you'll be able to go back better prepared next time. Trust me....I've been in that same boat. :)

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
Bark Eater

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)