New unsupported Appalachian Trail speed record - 9/24/2015

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
gimpilator

New unsupported Appalachian Trail speed record - 9/24/2015

by gimpilator » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm pleased to announce that Heather "Anish" Anderson has just broken the previous unsupported speed record on the Appalachian Trail. The previous record was set by Matt Kirk in 2013. His time was 58d9h40m. Heather called me from the summit of Springer Mountain which is the southern terminus. She began her journey on Mount Katahdin August 1st at 9:37am and finished today at 5:25pm for a total of 54d7h48m, taking 4 days and 2 hours off the previous record. I believe this is the first time one person has held the unsupported record on both the PCT and the AT.

nartreb

Re: New unsupported Appalachian Trail speed record - 9/24/20

by nartreb » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:28 pm

You mean self-supported.

In Anderson's words:
In keeping with protocols established by [previous recordholders], and by myself on previous endeavors, I will travel in a self-supported manner.
This means:
Arranging for no pre-planned outside support at any time, and only accepting truly random acts of kindness (trail magic) that come my way.
I will carry all of my own gear and supplies at all times (no "slackpacking" or "muling").
I will walk into and out of resupply locations where I will purchase food and/or collect supply boxes that I have sent to myself.
I will follow the Appalachian Trail and official relocations only (such as the detour around Falls Village, CT), no blue blaze or alternate routes.
When I leave the trail for resupply purposes, I will rejoin the trail at the same location I left, leaving a continuous line of footprints the entire distance.
Never accepting a ride in a vehicle for any reason....

source: http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/t ... ail?page=3

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)