Fall Mystery Photos from 1936

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bearflag

Fall Mystery Photos from 1936

by bearflag » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:17 pm

This should be easy for someone in the know as it's so unusual. Again from Lewis Clark's photos of the 1936 High Trip. Looks more like Machu Pichu than a Sierra summit.

The following user would like to thank bearflag for this post
Marmaduke, Romain

boyblue

Re: Fall Mystery Photos from 1936

by boyblue » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:14 am

The peak with the pinnacle on top is Milestone Mountain. To the right is Midway Mountain. Left is Milestone Mesa, farther left is Kern Ridge West. The hard part, of course, is trying to figure out the exact spot where this was taken. I think the rocky ridge on the far left is an important clue. Using satellite views to look at the angles and relative heights, etc. I think that rocky ridge on the far left is part of the ENE ridge of Kern Ridge West and that this picture may have been taken from the rounded bump on that same ridge at or near point 3580m+.

From the satellite views, one can even see some interesting long parallel cracks (joints, actually) in the slabby rock near the top of the above mentioned point.

I sure do wish I could go back in time and join that 1936 trip. :)

The following user would like to thank boyblue for this post
bearflag, Marmaduke

bearflag

by bearflag » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:05 am

Another from the same trip.

The following user would like to thank bearflag for this post
Marmaduke

boyblue

by boyblue » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Looks like the happy group is heading east and out of the wilderness. Perhaps one more night at Anvil Camp before the TH at Symmes Creek?

According to some of my personal notes from back in the day, the Mount Barnard register book was placed in 1936 by Clyde and others... probably in the course of this High Trip. Some of the signatures included Francis Farquar, Virginia Adams, and Jules Eichorn.

The following user would like to thank boyblue for this post
Marmaduke

Return to California