Dana Couloir conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Vladislav

Re: Dana Couloir conditions

by Vladislav » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:41 pm

jrc wrote:Any more recent reports? Thinking about heading up there this weekend. Still a foot+ of snow in the coolies? Need flotation on the approach?

I don't think you'll be able to get there this weekend with the new storm coming...

WML

by WML » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Looks like this weekend's storm is much less than expected. Anybody have any condition reports of any of the couloirs? Also, if you go on any adventures this week make sure to post most recent conditions.

Thanks!

Weston

WML

by WML » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:29 pm

+1. Weather has been prime for melt-freeze cycle to get some of the ice lines in, and dare I say, potentially even some of the more elusive lines of the East Side. Anyone take the tools for a walk lately?

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:52 pm

WML wrote:Weather has been prime for melt-freeze cycle to get some of the ice lines in

That only works if the ice line is steep. A low-angle gully like the Dana Couloir is just going to get covered. I suspect that it's mostly a snow climb right now, and the three moraines you have to suffer to get up to it are probably in prime ankle-breaking condition. But hey, it beats sitting in front of a computer .. have fun ! :D
Taaaake !

WML

by WML » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 pm

rob: Definitely aware of that, more or less was alluding to Ice Nine potentially being in, hoping a Bishop local will take the tools for a walk or just go for a hike up there. A man can dream, right?

SKI

by SKI » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:24 pm

http://www.supertopo.com/tr/TR-North-Pe ... 0819n.html

What conditions are like. A good TR.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:38 pm

WML wrote:rob: Definitely aware of that, more or less was alluding to Ice Nine potentially being in, hoping a Bishop local will take the tools for a walk or just go for a hike up there. A man can dream, right?

Some buddies went up a couple of weeks ago and found Ice Nine dry, so they did the right couloir (they signed the summit log on SP, maybe you've already PM'd them). They reported up to 50 degree ice in the lower part, snow-covered rock in the upper part. From the pics it looked like they had a good time :) I bet the talus on the far side of Lamarck Col with all the fresh snow is just lovely ..

I wonder if the waterfall pitch on the East Couloir of Split Mtn has formed up by now, or if it is still a waterfall :)
Taaaake !

no avatar
Floyd Hayes

by Floyd Hayes » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Does anybody know what the current conditions are for Dana Couloir? Is there any ice climbing or is the ice covered with snow?

Previous

Return to California