Amateur radio for mountaineering

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
ADKSherpa

Amateur radio for mountaineering

by ADKSherpa » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:47 pm

I'm headed to the Alaska range this summer to do some climbing and I'm looking for some good radios that we can use to communicate between camps, etc. I know very little about amateur radio but from talking to people, that seems like the best option so I'll be looking into learning a little bit and getting certified. But, I'm looking for some help finding radios. I need something durable obviously, maybe waterproof, with good range (5 watt min), ok in the cold, and either powered by AA batteries or rechargeable in some way via USB (we've got some GoalZero panels). Beyond that, I don't really know too much about the specifications of these radios to know exactly what I need. Preferably I'll spend no more than $200/unit, either.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks!

no avatar
splattski

Re: Amateur radio for mountaineering

by splattski » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:01 am

We use these in Search and Rescue. $30

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-Dual ... B007H4VT7A

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:58 pm

splattski wrote:We use these in Search and Rescue. $30

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-Dual ... B007H4VT7A

They require a license to operate (your SAR unit must have the license for your use) - you can't legally just buy a couple of them and use them as walkie-talkies.

no avatar
Motus

by Motus » Mon May 04, 2015 9:56 pm

I have expirience from using PMR's (personal mobile radio) from skiing and hunting. Usually the cheap ones are so bad and unreliable it's not worth the money.
For example if you meet your friend on a top of a hill and each ski on the opposite side of the hill, even though you're quite close aerial distance you couldn't hear each other, or the signal would be very poor. The same goes for the forests and urban areas.

BUT on the other hand ONCE I talked over a distance of 9km with those cheap radios. I was on top of one mountain and my friend was on top of another with nothing in between us to block signal.

But if you buy more expensive brand name radios which would most likely require a licence, then you're good to go.
Also bear in mind the weight+price+ reliability vs. usefulness of the same.

Andrew Rankine

by Andrew Rankine » Tue May 05, 2015 2:28 am

Just out of curiosity, if one were using one of these radios only to listen and broadcast in case of an emergency would that work? I saw the BaoFeng above and am going to Mont Blanc, Aconcagua and Elbrus and was wondering if I could use it just in an emergency and that would be ok?

bobdelon

by bobdelon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:54 am

I have this one and it all work well. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FJ246A

my question is do I need a license for it?
I checked the FCC web site, It mentioned that "FRS radios have a maximum power of ½ watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the rules that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have detachable antennas."

the instructions also say they use GMRS channels in addition to FRS channels.

so I am confused if I should get a license?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:36 pm

bobdelon wrote:I have this one and it all work well. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FJ246A

my question is do I need a license for it?
I checked the FCC web site, It mentioned that "FRS radios have a maximum power of ½ watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the rules that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have detachable antennas."

the instructions also say they use GMRS channels in addition to FRS channels.

so I am confused if I should get a license?

FRS does not require a license. GMRS (the 1 watt transmission, higher channel numbers typically) is supposed to require a license. That said, while I know many people who use GMRS, I've never known anyone who actually got the license. I looked into getting a license years back, and was a bit wary that once I got in the FCC records, I would be forever culpable. You can't legally operate a 5 watt device as FRS. What you have is a low-watt device.

Return to Gear