crampon styles and overboots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
newclimber

crampon styles and overboots

by newclimber » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:30 am

I have garmont pinnacle boots that I intend to use initially and I am currently looking for the best crampons to buy. I am leaning towards petzl lynx which seem to be the most versatile on the market. With future proofing in mind I emailed 40 below to see if a combination of their over boots and my boots would be suitable for the likes of Elbrus and similar mountains. They seemed certain that this would be fine but my concern is now with the crampons. Would the lever lock on the lynx crampons work well with over boots? Is there any benefit of lever lock andautomatic crampons over the strap on type. Can the strap on type be used in any mountains including 8000m peaks.
Thanks in advance

no avatar
southerntele

Re: crampon styles and overboots

by southerntele » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:59 am

I have used Grivel G12 Crampomatic, Plus 40 Overboots and Garmont Guide Karbo for a number of 6000 metre peaks in northern India in summer and the combination has worked well for me. No problems with the crampons coming off. I put some sports tape on the overboots where the level throw and the crampon bale sit to protect the neoprene.

I am not familiar with the Lynx. I hope this helps.

bserk

by bserk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:12 am

the pure strap on type can come lose during ice climbing etc. the classic ones with lever never come off...

reboyles

by reboyles » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:34 pm

I have used many types of strap-on crampons and prefer the Grivel G12 New Matics for mountaineering. They are easy to get on and off (with gloves) and I have never had them come loose like some of the strap-on crampons I've used. I over tightened a pair of strap-on crampons on a winter ascent and where the strap crossed my boot it became a constriction point that I paid dearly for. The pressure point on my boot was exactly where my toes froze.

Bob

Return to Gear