Chain Control in Yosemite

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
mrchad9

Re: Chain Control in Yosemite

by mrchad9 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:46 pm

More misinformation from SeanReedy. Those notices do not specifically say the 4wd vehicles are being screened for chains. I can confirm that when chain screenings occur I have driven through on multiple (every) occasion without so much as having to come to a complete stop when in a 4wd Tacoma.

Reality versus people who read press releases... go figure.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:04 pm

mrchad9, would that be ALWAYS, usually, or sometimes that your experience would hold true? I have seen it completely closed more than once. Are you just trolling now for more fun? :lol: It is pretty fun, but I think I gotta say Out and Over for awhile after this post.
Yep, Chief, I-5 complete closure, or extremely long chain control checks due to snow/ice/crashes in both directions, happens most winters there, sometimes starting at Redding, at about 500 feet elevation.

So, then the people who feel like they have to get somewhere try to take the mountain highways to get around the controls (less enforcement on those highways), taking them to higher elevations, and more severe curves + grades.

...then this sort of situation happens, and the CHP + CalTrans + tow trucks risk themselves to get people out of being stuck for hours/days, in a storm, unprepared:

more than 40 big rigs and cars stuck on Highway 299 near Round Mountain.

http://www.redding.com/news/2012/jan/19/wet-weather-woes/
I'm not surprised, but I heard that the closure date for Tioga Pass this winter was one for the record books, and that HWY 120 coming into Yosemite from the west was closed for a period due to rocks/debris recently. Luckily for me, HWY 140 (the all weather route) is the fastest way to get there anyway (was not fun when that was completely closed for awhile).
BTW, if anyone really cares, is inexperienced with Yosemite in winter, and still want to read more, there is this thread with some tips, rumors, and stories:

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Mr.Baboon yawns at the obvious....

PS: Confucius say, "Better safe than sorry when it comes to the Nazi Cal-Trans/CHP. They can definitely ruin your day if they want to and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it."

Over and Out.
Last edited by The Chief on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Always SeanReedy. Either the highway will be closed, or you'll be fine with 4wd and no chains.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:40 pm

FNG: "Why are all you guys sitting on your helmets?

SHORTIMER: "So we don't get our balls shot off!"

Oh... Dah!

Over and Out.

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:27 am

SSDD

Meaning? Obviously, in the eye of the beholder.

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:54 am

"Born ready. Winning."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4E1QYIRJZE[/youtube]

colinr

**it happens on roads in winter

by colinr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:44 pm

California Highway Patrol officers are responding to reports of a truck hauling Porta-Potties rolling over, spilling the contents all over the road...The truck hit black ice and fish-tailed before rolling over. Minor injuries were reported

http://www.redding.com/news/2012/jan/28/dispatchers-truck-hauling-port--potties-slips-ice/

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:12 am

Although this is not a chain control issue I didn't want to start another thread for this. Highway 140 is closed as there was a large rock slide and CALTRANS does not know when it will reopen. The slide is at Arch Rock and would affect travel coming from the west via Mariposa
http://abc30.com/traffic/highway-140-into-yosemite-closed-due-to-rockslide/1149776/

Denjem

by Denjem » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:14 am

I love this cheerful banter. This site has been dead lately. I also had a similar conversation in the Josh Tree thread. So please continue. I haven't seen the Chief in a while!

Previous

Return to California