Eightmile Area Suggestions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
MarkDidier

Eightmile Area Suggestions

by MarkDidier » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:40 pm

I will be at the Eightmile Campground for 5 nights at the end of August. I already have some hikes firmed up, but was looking for some suggestions from those who know the area much better than myself. I will be hiking with my son and his friends for 2 or 3 days and plan on using those to get to the core Enchantment zone one time (most likely Little Annapurna) and probably either Eightmile Lake or Stuart Lake.

After that I will more than likely have 2 or 3 days solo. I am curious about some good peaks to go after - even with a 1 - 2 hour drive to the trailhead from Eightmile Campground. Looking at Phelps Creek Trailhead one day (7FJ), and am considering West Fork Foss Trail for the other day (St. Agnes Ridge). I realize I may need to car camp at the trailhead those days.

Anyway, if you have some suggestions I'm all ears. As for peaks, Colorado Class 3 is my limit - pretty tolerant of exposure.

Thanks in advance...

awilsondc

Re: Eightmile Area Suggestions

by awilsondc » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:55 pm

In the immediate area Cashmere Mountain would be a possibility as would Dragontail Peak (in addition to Little Annapurna maybe?). Peak 7057 north of Eightmile Lake is a fun boulder hop / scramble I did, just follow the red rock and boulders in between Little Eightmile Lake and Eightmile Lake north to the summit (no trail). Mount Stuart is about a 2 hour drive from that area and would be an excellent objective but a long day, maybe better done in 2 days. Also under 2 hours away is the Phelps Creek Trailhead which you mentioned where you can access peaks like Maude and/or Seven Fingered Jack (long day again, or overnight... awesome area this would be a top choice IMO) or Carne Mountain. There are several along Highway 2 that would be fun. Gunn Peak is one I've been meaning to do, Baring is a nice bit o exercise up a steep trail...

Also within 2 hours is Snoqualmie Pass where there are tons of shorter day hike options. Alta Mountain, Hibox, Thompson (long day), and Red Mountain (shorter scramble) would be my top options there. A little over 2 hour drive would get you to Mount Daniel which is another long day but great area. I'll chime in later if I think of anything else.

The following user would like to thank awilsondc for this post
MarkDidier

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Thank you very much for the info!

Gimipilator had recommended Cashmere to me a couple of years ago. I've looked at the route and I'm thinking the climbing might be above my skill level. I'll take another look at it...mostly because it looks like a beautiful approach, and even if I can't much get past the saddle it would probably be worth it. Thanks for the reminder.

I have looked at Peak 7057 and have considered that on the day that I hike out to Eightmile Lake with my son and his friends. Seems pretty straightforward.

I'm about 100% positive I will be hitting Phelps Creek Trailhead. I figure 7FJ would be the most appropriate objective for me of the several in that cirque. If there is one in particular that stands out, let me know.

I'll look at Stuart again, but as you said I think it might be too much for a one day hike, which I'm trying to keep things to.

As for the core Enchantment peaks, if my son and his friends join me, then I'm pretty sure I am going to stick with Little Annapurna. Other peaks I would be interested in have more scrambling than they would be interested in.

Thanks again...more good info to spend time researching...as late August is a long ways away.

awilsondc wrote:In the immediate area Cashmere Mountain would be a possibility as would Dragontail Peak (in addition to Little Annapurna maybe?). Peak 7057 north of Eightmile Lake is a fun boulder hop / scramble I did, just follow the red rock and boulders in between Little Eightmile Lake and Eightmile Lake north to the summit (no trail). Mount Stuart is about a 2 hour drive from that area and would be an excellent objective but a long day, maybe better done in 2 days. Also under 2 hours away is the Phelps Creek Trailhead which you mentioned where you can access peaks like Maude and/or Seven Fingered Jack (long day again, or overnight... awesome area this would be a top choice IMO) or Carne Mountain. There are several along Highway 2 that would be fun. Gunn Peak is one I've been meaning to do, Baring is a nice bit o exercise up a steep trail...

Also within 2 hours is Snoqualmie Pass where there are tons of shorter day hike options. Alta Mountain, Hibox, Thompson (long day), and Red Mountain (shorter scramble) would be my top options there. A little over 2 hour drive would get you to Mount Daniel which is another long day but great area. I'll chime in later if I think of anything else.

seano

by seano » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:07 pm

FWIW, I was up Eightmile Creek toward Cashmere two years ago, and a forest fire in the last few years had made it hot, brushy, and unattractive. Dragontail and Colchuck via Colchuck Lake were much nicer. 7FJ and Maude are both scenic, though a bit chossy.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
MarkDidier

awilsondc

by awilsondc » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:34 am

A couple others in the Snoqualmie area I should mention are Kaleetan (Melakwa Lake and beyond is amazing) and Wright Mountain (not a big name peak, but two beautiful lakes and a stunning summit view point, I wrote a TR on it last year). They are both a good length for a single day.

From the Phelps Creek TH, 7FJ is probably the most alluring option at least it was for me. You can combine it with Maude too if you're down for an 11-12 hour day but really if you're just going for views I'd probably just pick one, relax, enjoy the experience.

The following user would like to thank awilsondc for this post
MarkDidier

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:24 pm

There are an amazing number of hikes/climbs/scrambles easily accessible from the Icicle River Road area within range of a short drive. I spend a lot of time climbing, trail running, and BC skiing at Snoqualmie Pass because it is a 30 minute drive from my house, however, if I were already in Leavenworth I would not bother to make the drive to Snoqualmie Pass because you are already in the proximity of much grander mountains in Leavenworth.

The trail head for Mt. Stuart, Sherpa Peak, and Argonaut Peak (Mountaineers Creek TH) is a very short drive from 8 mile camp ground, however, that delivers you to the North side of these peaks and the routes are pretty much all technical rock climbs. Colchuck Lake (one of the most beautiful hikes in Washington IMHO) uses the same trail head and brings you to Colchuck Peak, Dragontail Peak, and Colchuck Balanced Rock. Dragontail has a class 3 scramble from Asgard Pass and Colchuck can be climbed via the Colchuck Glacier if you are proficient with an ice axe and crampons. Beware, the glacier is steep and very icy by August, and the run out is into boulders. More than one person has slid to their deaths here.

Another thought would be to hike the Ingall's Creek trail, perhaps an hour or so drive from Leavenworth off of HWY 97. This trail is unlike most trails in the Cascades. It climbs gently at a pleasant grade and is in the shade (August in Leavenworth is hot) and easy to follow. The trail takes you along the south side of the Stuart Range, behind McClellan, Dragontail, Argonaut, Sherpa, and Stuart, giving you access to the easiest routes to these peaks. Stuart has a class 3 route via Cascadian Couloir, and I believe McClellan and Dragontail do as well. I think Argonaut requires some 5th class climbing as does Sherpa.

The Stuart Range reminds me a bit of the Tetons, with as much vertical relief and with as big and technical routes. If the Stuart Range is to be compared to the Tetons then certainly Mt. Stuart would be the Grand's counterpart. Stuart is the king of this area and offers very challenging routes on the North side, but allows one to summit via easy, but tedious, scrambling from the South. Approaching Mt. Stuart via Ingall's Creek trail would probably be done best over two days, but there is wonderful established campgrounds along Ingall's Creek, which would allow one to make an ascent of Stuart via Cascadian Couloir with just a day pack, leaving a camp in the valley.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
MarkDidier

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I need to revisit options from Ingalls Creek!!!

OwenT

by OwenT » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:00 am

Stuart yes. Maybe Axis Peak (Between Eightmile and Stuart Lakes). Dragontail is a good one, I've done it the non-glacier way combined with Little A mentioned on the Dragontail Peak page here. Not a peak, but if you're going up towards Phelps I would do Little Giant Pass, it might be kind of a short day hike but on a clear day the view would be pretty cool and you'll probably snag some good huckleberries.

The following user would like to thank OwenT for this post
MarkDidier

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)